1 - 6 of 6 Posts

amygdalE

The sacred Road from Athens to Eleusis is in disrepair and, anyway, I am too old and weak to take it, So, it would be nice for some of you to show it and the ruins of that sacred town, I will attach a study I made some years ago of some related paintings ,[My only correction: Toward the end of the essay: Replace "toilet" by "toilette" or Kore's preparation to meet her spouse.) Notice: Some pictures are copyrighted!

paharo45

The sacred Road from Athens to Eleusis is in disrepair and, anyway, I am too old and weak to take it, So, it would be nice for some of you to show it and the ruins of that sacred town, I will attach a study I made some years ago of some related paintings ,[My only correction: Toward the end of the essay: Replace "toilet" by "toilette" or Kore's preparation to meet her spouse.) Notice: Some pictures are copyrighted!
This is super interesting thank you for sharing

Here is a bit more info that I found online for anyone who doesn't know about this. "The “Sacred Way” was the road from Athens to Eleusis (Elefsina in modern Greek). It was the route taken by a procession celebrating the Eleusinian Mysteries that began at the Sacred Gate in Kerameikos (the Athenian cemetery) and ended at the Sanctuary of Demeter at Eleusis following the same course of today’s “Iera Odos”."

-https://mamakita.gr/following-sacred-way-eleusis/

Reactions: amygdalE

amygdalE

My attachment (a page from a defunct webside) is absent: Did it fail to be attached, or was it officially deleted? Unfortunately I was unable to cut out the heading, which may be inappropriate for "Worldwide Greeks".

My attachment (a page from a defunct webside) is absent: Did it fail to be attached, or was it officially deleted? Unfortunately I was unable to cut out the heading, which may be inappropriate for "Worldwide Greeks".
I copy pasted the link into my browser and it works just fine but I'm not able to click it directly on WWG

Reactions: amygdalE

amygdalE

This is how Hercules became immortal!

Hercules is my favorite character in Greek mythology! Hercules was a demigod and he earned his freedom and immortality (turning him into a God) by completing tasks set to him by Eurystheus, King of Tiryns and Mycenae. These were called the twelve labours, one of which was killing the minotaur.

What are your favorite plays from Greek mythology?

I love a good play with an ancient plot! Antigone is one of my favorites, I saw it in Athens a few years back. Its pretty popular and there have been a lot of adaptations since. It is a tragedy by Sophocles written in or before 441 BC. I won't give any spoilers, but as with any Greek play, there is a lot of drama and murder!!! What are your favorite ancient Greek plays?

How do Greek mythology and art relate?

Knowing some basics of Greek mythology can really help in understanding a lot of art throughout the years. A lot of art is based around concepts of Greek mythology and uses similar inspiration. According to this article, Pandoras Box, Perseus and Andromeda, The Minotaur, Icarus, Leda and the Swan, and Achilles are standout myths.

The myth of pandoras box (my favorite)

This is my favorite myth of all time :)

The Titan God Atlas is the one who held up the world

Atlas is one of my favorite characters in Greek mythology...he is literally the one who held up the world with his extreme strength. He was sent to hold up the earth as a punishment after the war between the Titans and the Olympians.

atlas-720x961.jpg
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter