1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Some of the earliest examples of where Greek can be traced to is the Mycenaean civilization. Once the Mycenaean civilization collapsed, parts of the Greek language disappeared. It was then replaced by writing inspired by the Phoenicians. After this during the Classical Period of Ancient Greece, the language developed into several dialects, one of which developed into a language that is very similar to the modern Greek that we know today.

Reactions: Vangelis
Some of the earliest examples of where Greek can be traced to is the Mycenaean civilization. Once the Mycenaean civilization collapsed, parts of the Greek language disappeared. It was then replaced by writing inspired by the Phoenicians. After this during the Classical Period of Ancient Greece, the language developed into several dialects, one of which developed into a language that is very similar to the modern Greek that we know today.
Tracing a language to its geographical source is practically impossible, since a language is sonoric and, hence, ephimeral, and we may not assume that a language originated where its writing down originated. Anyway, it is good to know where and how its witing originated. Notation, the writing of sounds is a great human invention, which everbody keeps on attributing to the Phoenicians, especially by misinterpreting Herodotus. What he said was a hearsay report: some people said that what we call letters (grammata) were Phoenician -- not that they were invented by them [as others said afterwards]. Sorry, I cannot reproduce here a chapter [in a MS of mine] on the Greek alphabet. Only a few words: The script itself started in Dispilio. The Dispilio Tablet has a syllabary, not an alphabet, but some of its written syllables will be used as alphabetical letters, whether consonants or vowels; the Phoenician alphabet does not have vowels! //I presume that the syllables or words on the Dispilio Tablet were Doric, and that the differentiation of the Greek dialects took place before any Greek was written down. I don't know whether there was a mutation of an Ionic Heta sound into a Doric Alpha, or vice-versa, or a Theta into Z or TS.
www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece/LX/en/DispilioTablet.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Vangelis
I have always wanted to visit the ruins at Mycenae. This is the Age of Heroes, and when the civilization collapsed Ancient Greece was pushed into a dark age that took a while to rebound. Thank you for sharing this!

Looking for Information About the Library of Alexandria

I'm fascinated by the Library of Alexandria and would love to learn more about it. I've read that it was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world, but details seem scarce and sometimes contradictory.

Could anyone share insights or reliable resources on its history, how it was established, and its significance in the ancient world? I'm particularly interested in the types of texts it housed, how it contributed to the spread of knowledge, and any notable scholars associated with it. Also, what are the theories around its destruction? Are there any surviving remnants or related artifacts that I could explore?

Exploring the Role of Women in Ancient Greece

I'm currently researching the role of women in Ancient Greece and would love to hear your thoughts and insights on this topic. From what I've gathered so far, women's roles varied significantly depending on the city-state they lived in. For example, women in Sparta had more freedom and responsibility compared to their counterparts in Athens.

Was the Spartan view the norm in Ancient Greece? Was the Athenian view the norm? They seem like two extremes to me. I don't know much else about the rest of Greece.

Learning about the history of the Olympics

It's an Olympics year so I decided to learn a little bit about it.

Specifically, I'm drawn to its roots in Greece, where it all began. The tales from Olympia, where athletes from city-states across Ancient Greece competed, not just for glory but for the favor of the gods, paint a vivid picture of society's value system and cultural priorities at the time.

Yet, despite the bits and pieces of information I've gathered, I realize there's so much more depth and nuance to understand about how these games influenced, and were influenced by, Greek society and beyond. From the types of events that were held, the athletes who competed, to the very ethos that powered these competitions - each element seems to carry its own story.

How did the Mycenaean civilization fall?

I'm curious about the decline of the Mycenaean civilization. I know they were a dominant force in ancient Greece during the Late Bronze Age, but I'm not clear on how their civilization came to an end. What were the main factors that contributed to their fall? Were there specific events, invasions, or internal issues that led to their decline? Additionally, how did this collapse affect the broader Greek world at the time? Any insights or recommended readings on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rise and Fall of Ancient Athens?

My knowledge of Athenian history is a series of disjointed, out of order events. I am trying to get a feel for Athenian history before going to Greece, because I will be seeing some of the historical sites.

I’ve recently taken an interest in Ancient Greek history, particularly the fascinating journey of Athens from its rise to its fall. I’m looking to understand more about the key factors that contributed to both its ascension as a powerful city-state and its eventual decline.

Here are a few specific areas I'm curious about:
  1. Political Evolution: How did the political structures and reforms, such as democracy under leaders like Cleisthenes and later Pericles, contribute to Athens' rise?
  2. Military Strength: What role did the Athenian navy and military innovations play in establishing and maintaining their dominance, especially during the Persian Wars?
  3. Cultural Influence: How did Athens' cultural achievements in philosophy, arts, and sciences support its growth? Were there any specific cultural milestones that marked its golden age?
  4. Economic Factors: What were the economic foundations of Athens' power? How did trade and resources influence its prosperity?
  5. Internal Struggles: What internal issues, such as political conflicts, social divides, or economic problems, began to undermine Athens' stability?
  6. External Pressures: How did external conflicts, such as the Peloponnesian War with Sparta, contribute to Athens' decline? Were there other external factors that played a significant role?
  7. Leadership and Decisions: How did the decisions of key leaders impact both the rise and fall of Athens?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back