1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Some of the earliest examples of where Greek can be traced to is the Mycenaean civilization. Once the Mycenaean civilization collapsed, parts of the Greek language disappeared. It was then replaced by writing inspired by the Phoenicians. After this during the Classical Period of Ancient Greece, the language developed into several dialects, one of which developed into a language that is very similar to the modern Greek that we know today.

Reactions: Vangelis

amygdalE

Some of the earliest examples of where Greek can be traced to is the Mycenaean civilization. Once the Mycenaean civilization collapsed, parts of the Greek language disappeared. It was then replaced by writing inspired by the Phoenicians. After this during the Classical Period of Ancient Greece, the language developed into several dialects, one of which developed into a language that is very similar to the modern Greek that we know today.
Tracing a language to its geographical source is practically impossible, since a language is sonoric and, hence, ephimeral, and we may not assume that a language originated where its writing down originated. Anyway, it is good to know where and how its witing originated. Notation, the writing of sounds is a great human invention, which everbody keeps on attributing to the Phoenicians, especially by misinterpreting Herodotus. What he said was a hearsay report: some people said that what we call letters (grammata) were Phoenician -- not that they were invented by them [as others said afterwards]. Sorry, I cannot reproduce here a chapter [in a MS of mine] on the Greek alphabet. Only a few words: The script itself started in Dispilio. The Dispilio Tablet has a syllabary, not an alphabet, but some of its written syllables will be used as alphabetical letters, whether consonants or vowels; the Phoenician alphabet does not have vowels! //I presume that the syllables or words on the Dispilio Tablet were Doric, and that the differentiation of the Greek dialects took place before any Greek was written down. I don't know whether there was a mutation of an Ionic Heta sound into a Doric Alpha, or vice-versa, or a Theta into Z or TS.
www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece/LX/en/DispilioTablet.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Vangelis

k_tsoukalas

I have always wanted to visit the ruins at Mycenae. This is the Age of Heroes, and when the civilization collapsed Ancient Greece was pushed into a dark age that took a while to rebound. Thank you for sharing this!

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

This is what the traditional costumes of Greek soldiers look like

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.

These are some of the most famous Greek historical figures

Because Greece has such a long history, there are so many historical figures to choose from.... from ancient Greeks to modern artists. This is my personal list, and please let me know what you think and add some of your favorites. Also, keep in mind that these are listed in no particular order!

-Plato
-Aristotle
-Kolokotronis
-Onassis
-Socrates
-Alexander the Great
-Kazantzakis
-Constantinos Cavafis
-Mixalis Theodorakis

Why Alexander the Great was so powerful

We know that great men do not just come from nowhere. Alexander the Great was molded into the ruler that conquered all of Persia by his father and many great philosophers, namely Aristotle. His father, King Phillip had already established a very successful empire that was already expanding. Once Alexander became old enough, the empire was handed to him and he was able to quickly build it into one of the greatest empires of all time.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter