1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

k_tsoukalas

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.
I didn't know that! That's interesting. You have to figure that these older structures have probably been through a lot, whether it was simply the passage of time or maybe even destroyed through invasion, natural disaster, etc.

Reactions: GPatsias

What are the best day trips from Thessaloniki?

I’ve been wanting to visit Thessaloniki for a while now, but of course I can’t visit a city without hitting the beach right after! Are there any good day trips from the island that people recommend?

Beware of the roads in Kavala, Greece!

Kavala is a small and beautiful city near Thessaloniki which has some of the windiest and steepest roads. If youre not used to driving in Greece, especially with a manual car I highly recommend that you don't drive yourself. The roads are not for amateurs and it is a much better idea to walk around the city or use taxis. Good luck for anyone visiting! It is one of my favorite cities in the North. Let me know if you would like recommendations! :)

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

Guided tour in an historic church of Thessaloniki for free!

A few (even Thessalonians...) are familiar with one of the most historic parishes of the city, the church of St Athanasius the Great (87 Egnatias str.). Guided tours are offered every Wednesday at 10:30 and 11:00 am (FOR FREE)! You can see details in the announcements hung outside the church. It's a unique opportunity to learn about Orthodox art and spirituality, as well as the history of the city, while listening to heavenly Byzantine music recordings. Although the facade may not look so attractive, the interior is stunning! You visit not only the nave, but also the north chapel, as well as the gallery. Looking for a different experience in an historic and not over-crowded landmark? That's your place!
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter