1 - 4 of 4 Posts

tomipark

As you may have noticed, many houses in Greece are built with stone (as you'll see in the picture below). Historically, houses in Greece were built with stone because it was readily available and very sturdy. Stone also keeps the houses cool, which is a big problem because it can get very hot and dry in Greece

stone-house-greece1-720x540.jpg

Reactions: amygdalE

k_tsoukalas

Stone homes are quite the fixture in Greece. I think that wood isn't as readily available as stone is, at least in some parts of Greece. Stone also lasts a lot longer than wood.

ellinasgolfer0320

Interesting... I've never heard this. What I've heard is that stone houses are known for having no insulation, and because they're made of stone they absorb whatever temperature they're exposed to. The houses are painted white to keep the houses cool (reflect the sun light), and because that was the most widely available color - the color was used to paint boats.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

That makes so much sense. The only downside that I see is having to repaint everything so often because it gets dirty

Who is your favorite Greek leader?

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

Greece Marks International Museum Day with Free Admission!👍

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

What is the history of hookah in Greece?

I have recently seen quite a few videos of old traditional Greek music, and many of the singers seem to be singing and eating alongside a hookah pipe. I don’t really think that this is common in Greece nowadays, so I’m wondering what the history is behind this practice. Does anyone know how it was introduced in Greece and why it went away?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter