1 - 4 of 4 Posts

tomipark

As you may have noticed, many houses in Greece are built with stone (as you'll see in the picture below). Historically, houses in Greece were built with stone because it was readily available and very sturdy. Stone also keeps the houses cool, which is a big problem because it can get very hot and dry in Greece

stone-house-greece1-720x540.jpg

Reactions: amygdalE

k_tsoukalas

Stone homes are quite the fixture in Greece. I think that wood isn't as readily available as stone is, at least in some parts of Greece. Stone also lasts a lot longer than wood.

ellinasgolfer0320

Interesting... I've never heard this. What I've heard is that stone houses are known for having no insulation, and because they're made of stone they absorb whatever temperature they're exposed to. The houses are painted white to keep the houses cool (reflect the sun light), and because that was the most widely available color - the color was used to paint boats.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

That makes so much sense. The only downside that I see is having to repaint everything so often because it gets dirty

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

The history of dressing for apokries (Greek carnival)

Apokries is the Greek carnival that happens right before Holy Lent, so it changes every year. It is sort of similar to Halloween....but not really. Comparing it to Halloween is really the best way to describe it to someone who is from a country that does not have this celebration. Dressing up in costumes is a practice that dates all the way back to Ancient Greece and was then incorporated to celebrate the Orthodox period before lent. Many different areas of Greece have specific costumes that people will usually dress up as. But for the most part, people can dress up as pretty much anything they want.

"Cloudy Sunday" or "Ouzeri Tsitsanis" is a fantastic Greek film about love during Nazi occupation

This is one of Greece's best historical time piece films. The story follows a love between a Christian boy and a Jewish girl during the Nazi occupation in Greece. The story of occupation is not widely known around the world, but it is something very near and dear to Greek peoples hearts. It was a very dark time during Greece history, and the effects of the occupation were very strong, especially on the countries Jewish and Roma population. Let me know if you like this film.

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

The history of medicine in Ancient Greece

Ancient medicine played a major role in Ancient Greek life and has made major impacts on the medical community even today. Hippocrates was one of the main leaders of the early discoveries of medicine in Ancient Greece. He believed that disease is a normal part of human life and that we can use the strengths of the body to heal disease within, by encouraging certain functions to heal the ailments. This was a revolutionary way of thinking about the human body and medicine!
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter