1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.

k_tsoukalas

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.
It isn't "said to have been established when Jesus and his Apostles were alive". It actually WAS set up by Jesus and his Apostles, and that is confirmed historically. The Orthodox Church was founded on Pentecost, which is documented in the Bible. And the split in 1054 didn't create the Orthodox Church as it is today, it was created on Pentecost, which was much, much earlier than the Great Schism. The Great Schism was about something else. Some things to read:

Cryptomaniac

During the eight centuries of Christian history, most of the major cultural and social events of the Christian church took place within the empire or its sphere of influence, so much of the traditions of the churches were adopted by people, which provided the basic laws of modern Orthodoxy. Christianity has much more significance in many areas of life, such as science, medicine, and even philosophy. Faith in God, by definition, makes a person better, because you can communicate with God and get answers to many questions. If you have only recently become believers, or you have any doubts, we invite you to our friendly First Church Love team. We spend time together on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while on Sunday we hold Worship and study the Bible.

Last edited:

Where the name “Greece” comes from

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Getting a Good Overview of Greek History

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture because I married a Greek-American. I figure that history is part of that! So, can you guys share with me some great resources that will give me an overview of the history? I found this on Youtube, don't know if it is any good. I know, I am not a kid. But I figured this would be a nice overview. But, this only covers Ancient Greece. We are planning a trip to Greece and my husband loves history, so I want to at least have a foundation before we go to the country.

More than one Minoan Palace on Crete?

I didn't realize that Knossos wasn't the only Minoan Palace on Crete, but from what I understand it might be the largest?

I am planning a trip to Crete soon to see some of the ruins and here is where I plan to visit - did I miss anything?

1. Archaeological Museum of Athens
2. Knossos Palace
3. Malia
4. Phaistos
5. Zakros

Are there any other museums I should visit? I am learning about Minoan culture...

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Did you know that dozens of ancient theaters are still operating in Greece?

Theater was a huge part of the ancient Greek civilization, and it's still important in modern Greece today. Greeks loves theater, and you were always see flyers for different shows going on. Many of these are presented in ancient amphitheatres that were built thousands of years ago. If you're in Greece, I really recommend that you check one out. There are even plays for young children.

Here is a list of showings around Greece: https://parallaximag.gr/theatro

You can use a google translate browser add on to translate the page.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube