1 - 2 of 2 Posts

acamp7

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

Reactions: Vangelis

k_tsoukalas

Do you know that I forgot who he was? Thanks for sharing this! At least, I thought I did until I looked him up. The pic of him on his Wikipedia page jogged my memory:

Did you know about Ukraines historical Greek community?

Greeks are all over the world! Even in Ukraine, making them more vulnerable to the war that is going on right now between Ukraine and Russia. This Greek minority has been in Ukraine since Ionians came from the city of Miletus in Asia Minor in around 7th century BC. They settled in an area called Mariupul which as named after the Virgin Mary. Over time these Greeks developed their own culture and dialects, but unfortunately many have been forced to leave ever since the war.

How Egypt influenced Ancient Greece

Ancient Egypt and Greece hav had so much influence over each other, perhaps more than any other ancient civilizations. This article specifically focuses on the impact of Egypt on Ancient Greece.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Did you know that dozens of ancient theaters are still operating in Greece?

Theater was a huge part of the ancient Greek civilization, and it's still important in modern Greece today. Greeks loves theater, and you were always see flyers for different shows going on. Many of these are presented in ancient amphitheatres that were built thousands of years ago. If you're in Greece, I really recommend that you check one out. There are even plays for young children.

Here is a list of showings around Greece: https://parallaximag.gr/theatro

You can use a google translate browser add on to translate the page.

48 years ago, Turkey invaded Cyprus

This is one of the saddest stories in Greek history. 48 years ago on July 15, 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus and displaced and killed huge portions of the Greek populations and it continuously illegally occupies northern Cyprus to this day. To this day, there are abandoned Greek homes in Northern Cyprus that people are never able to return to. There is still a UN occupied border between Cyprus and Turkish occupied Cyprus, which is one of the only UN occupied borders left in the world.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter