1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

Hercules is probably one of the most famous Greek figures, having a famous Disney movie after his story. As most Greek mythology stories, his starts from a dark place, being unwanted by his family. The Oracle provided him with 12 labors that he needed to defeat. This video goes over all of them!

k_tsoukalas

This is such a shocking story - but very fascinating. The Labors were given to him as punishment after Hera caused him to lose his mind and he killed his family (wife and kids).

ndatta

I'm curious about hearing more about Heracles outside of his labors. I feel like I've heard that he's done a lot of other stuff, but I don't actually know that those quests were. I vaguely know he fought in the Gigantomachy, but not a lot about that.

List of Olympian Gods?

There are so many gods and goddesses of Greek Mythology I am trying to keep it all straight. There are 12 Olympians - some lists have different gods and goddesses listed. Does this look right?

1. Zues
2. Hera
3. Poseidon
4. Demeter
5. Athena
6. Apollo
7. Artemis
8. Ares
9. Aphrodite
10. Haphaestus
11. Hermes
12. Hestia

Some people put Dionysius... but that would make 13. What do you guys think?

How accurate is the Thanos movie in comparison to Greek mythology?

Thanos is a popular Greek movie but also an important figure in Greek mythology. Im wondering if any Greek mythology geeks know anything about whether or not there is any historical accuracy in the movies. I'm not sure if these big blockbuster movie companies are actually doing their due diligence to research and do justice to the Ancient Greek Myths.

Kronos and Zeus had the most ultimate battle

I never even knew that Kronos and Zeus had a battle over the universe until now. Zeus was not always the king of gods....he actually had to beat Kronos in a battle to become the king. Zeus became the king meaning he had power over every single god and he also was able to carry out punishments, which he did using his power over controlling the weather. He is the best Greek god for sure!

Getting into the mindset of Ancient Greek religion

I really want to learn and understand about the Greek mythological stories and gods and goddesses... but I just realized that I have been missing the point somewhat. I think of this as literature. It wasn't to them. It was part of their every day lives and was their "religion".

I want to understand this mindset a little more because I think it will help me as I go through and lear about the stories, gods and goddesses, monsters, etc.

This, at the moment, feels overwhelming. Do you guys have any advice as to how I can approach it?

Was Santorini Really Atlantis?

I am getting a big kick studying stories from Greek Mythology. The Lost Kingdom of Atlantis has always fascinated me, mainly because some speculate that it was a real place that no longer exists. Some speculate that the portion of Santorini that collapsed into the sea after the volcano erupted thousands of years ago was actually Atlantis. It's one of the theories, anyway. I heard there's even a museum to visit on Santorini about it!

Does anyone here know about this theory and the museum? I would love to hear your input. Are there any other places in Greece that might be Atlantis?
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube