1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

Hercules is probably one of the most famous Greek figures, having a famous Disney movie after his story. As most Greek mythology stories, his starts from a dark place, being unwanted by his family. The Oracle provided him with 12 labors that he needed to defeat. This video goes over all of them!

k_tsoukalas

This is such a shocking story - but very fascinating. The Labors were given to him as punishment after Hera caused him to lose his mind and he killed his family (wife and kids).

Do you think Helen of Troy was abducted? Or did she escape willingly with Paris?

Many people think that Helen of Troy is a love story… but the details of the story are quite contested. She was said to be the most beautiful woman in the entire world, and the son of Zeus. Her image is depicted in so many ancient Greek illustrations and her beauty was referenced throughout many Greek mythological stories. In some versions of the myth, they depict Helen as Paris's lover, who willingly fled with him. On the other hand, other stories depict her as a victim who was abducted by Paris. What do you all think? Here is a link of the full story...

Kronos and Zeus had the most ultimate battle

I never even knew that Kronos and Zeus had a battle over the universe until now. Zeus was not always the king of gods....he actually had to beat Kronos in a battle to become the king. Zeus became the king meaning he had power over every single god and he also was able to carry out punishments, which he did using his power over controlling the weather. He is the best Greek god for sure!

Geographical Images of the Gods

There is a long-forgotten realm of gods, myths, and religions I stumbled upon years ago, and have been independently researching ever since. We are all familiar with the geographical image we commonly refer to as the “boot of Italy.” What has been lost for centuries is the knowledge that the ancients knew of many such images and created stories telling of those image’s imagined interactions. Today, many of those stories survive as myths.
To explain my discoveries, I’ve created a video presentation, Geographical Images of the Gods. View my presentation and you will see the goddess Aphrodite riding her seashell, Zeus wielding his thunderbolt, Adam, and Eve in The Garden, and much, much more.
I am currently looking for imaginative people who might become interested in researching this long-forgotten realm with me. There is still much to be discovered, and I can’t do it all alone.
You can view my presentation, Geographical Images of the Gods, at geographicalimagesofthegods.org. Your questions and comments are welcome.

Have you ever wanted to read the Odyssey without reading the Odyssey?

If you're not a big reader like myself, this video is perfect! If you didn't know, the odyssey is one of the most important classical poems in Greece. It is a massive poem that reads like a book. It follows the story of Homer and his escapades throughout different areas of Greece after the Trojan War, specifically Ithaca. Let me know what you think of this summary.

Mythological Places in Greece to Visit?

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the travel forum but I am curious... where should I visit in Greece if I want to be in touch with Greek Mythology? I understand that there are some notable places. Here is a list of what I have come up with. Can you think of anything to add?

• Mount Olympus - pretty fun that it is a real place!
  • Cave of Zeus in Crete - where supposedly he was raised
  • Archeron - you can actually visit the river mentioned in the stories, as being a gateway to the underworld?
  • Delphi - where the fabled oracle did her thing!
I can't think of anything else....
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter