1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

Reactions: Hash
The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.
How did the concert go? Do you know if there are anymore? This is so cool!

As far as I know, this concert was the first of its kind on an island full of ancient ruins and long considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I loved the moment when the concert featured Marshall Marcus's "Seventeen Bell Tolls for Peace and Sustainability. It was my favorite moment. I wouldn't say I like concerts because of too many people. When I was at a concert in Canada, there was just a huge crowd at the entrance, well, stanchions in canada are sold everywhere, but the organizers didn't think to put them at the entrance to at least somehow separate the crowd.

Last edited:

How did the Mycenaean civilization fall?

I'm curious about the decline of the Mycenaean civilization. I know they were a dominant force in ancient Greece during the Late Bronze Age, but I'm not clear on how their civilization came to an end. What were the main factors that contributed to their fall? Were there specific events, invasions, or internal issues that led to their decline? Additionally, how did this collapse affect the broader Greek world at the time? Any insights or recommended readings on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Learning about the history of the Olympics

It's an Olympics year so I decided to learn a little bit about it.

Specifically, I'm drawn to its roots in Greece, where it all began. The tales from Olympia, where athletes from city-states across Ancient Greece competed, not just for glory but for the favor of the gods, paint a vivid picture of society's value system and cultural priorities at the time.

Yet, despite the bits and pieces of information I've gathered, I realize there's so much more depth and nuance to understand about how these games influenced, and were influenced by, Greek society and beyond. From the types of events that were held, the athletes who competed, to the very ethos that powered these competitions - each element seems to carry its own story.

Exploring the Role of Women in Ancient Greece

I'm currently researching the role of women in Ancient Greece and would love to hear your thoughts and insights on this topic. From what I've gathered so far, women's roles varied significantly depending on the city-state they lived in. For example, women in Sparta had more freedom and responsibility compared to their counterparts in Athens.

Was the Spartan view the norm in Ancient Greece? Was the Athenian view the norm? They seem like two extremes to me. I don't know much else about the rest of Greece.

Ancient Greek Food History?

I’ve recently developed a keen interest in the history of Ancient Greek food and am looking for resources to dive deeper into this fascinating topic. I’m particularly interested in understanding what the Ancient Greeks ate, how they prepared their food, and the cultural significance behind their culinary practices.

Does anyone have recommendations for books, articles, or documentaries that explore Ancient Greek cuisine? Are there any online courses or lectures that you’ve found particularly insightful? I’m also curious about any archaeological findings or historical records that shed light on their dietary habits.

Additionally, if there are any museums or historical sites (preferably ones that have online exhibits) that focus on Ancient Greek food culture, I’d love to hear about those too.

Cave Divers Capture Breathtaking Footage of Lake Vouliagmeni Tunnels.

Posting this takes me back to my years living in Ano Glyfada when I often wandered what and why was there a lake in Vouliagmeni!Underwander!
The season finale shows how there were once elephants living on the island of Crete, but, most importantly, it sees the team return to Lake Vouliagmeni, where they make yet another breakthrough.... Fascinating how our world and eachother are connected!👏🌍🌎🙏
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...athtaking+Footage+of+Lake+Vouliagmeni+Tunnels
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back