1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greek_ggirl

I remember learning about Kolokotronis in Greek school. He was one of the most pivotal figures in the Greek independence movement. He was a general, politician, and a leading advisor to the Greek independence movement. If anyone has any documentaries about him, please share I would love to watch them

Theodoros-Kolokotronis-720x971.jpg

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

Here's a documentary on youtube from skai tv. Not sure how good it is.

seleanor

Here's a documentary on youtube from skai tv. Not sure how good it is.

I will try to find a version of this with English subtitles but not sure how much luck I will have LOL

What geographical areas did Ancient Greece rule?

I didn't always know this....but I decided to do some research. These are the main areas where Ancient Greece ruled although it spanned all over the world at one point

Where-Was-Ancient-Greece-Exactly.jpg

The history of Oxi Day (October 28)

Oxi Day in Greek is the “Day of No”. The history behind it is that The Axis powers wanted to occupy Greece during World War II because of its strategic location. Mussolini gave the option for Greece to accept occupation instead of going straight to war. He gave Ioannis Metaxas an ultimatum. This is when Metaxas, the prime minister of Greece said "No" and decided that Greece would go to war to defend itself. This is why we celebrate Oxi Day to this day. :)

Did you know that the anchor was invented in Ancient Greece?

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.

Theodoros Kolokotronis was the leader of Greek independence

I remember learning about Kolokotronis in Greek school. He was one of the most pivotal figures in the Greek independence movement. He was a general, politician, and a leading advisor to the Greek independence movement. If anyone has any documentaries about him, please share I would love to watch them

Theodoros-Kolokotronis-720x971.jpg

What are your favorite Greek inventions?

Mine is the water mill hands down! This revolutionized so many things and made a huge impact!! What is your favorite Greek invention?

water-mill-720x480.jpg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter