1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mastichas09

Many people think the traditional way to make baklava is with walnuts and syrup, although there are many different recipe variations from Greece and all over the world. One of my favourites is the Turkish version which is made with pistachios, and the syrup includes rosewater. There are also a few modern versions that include chocolate, like chocolate dipped baklava. Here is a recipe for covered baklava with pistachios!

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing!

There are so many Greek baklava dessert variations, here are some:

k_tsoukalas

Chocolate baklava - I have been seeing it now in Greek bakeries here in the United States, and they've been in the Greek bakeries in Greece for at least the past decade, maybe longer. In Greece, the variations are often regional. I had baklava made with almonds, not walnuts, in Crete because the baker just happened to have a lot of almonds that day. I've had baklava with syrup made from mastic instead of honey, too. It's fascinating what you can do.

What desserts are served at Greek weddings?

Are there any desserts that are specific to Greek weddings? I’m going to a Greek wedding this summer and I would love to know waht tasty treats are on the menu so I know what to look forward to! 😋

Is it possible to grow olives outside of Greece?

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?

What is your favorite vegan Greek appetizer?

I'm having a couple of friends over next weekend, and many of them are vegan. What are some good Greek appetizers that are vegan or can be made vegan? I've been doing some googling and many people say that there are quite a few vegan Greek recipes because many Greek people essentially eat vegan when they are fasting. Do you have any recommendations?

How to make juicy Greek style lamb burgers!

This is one of my own creations that is so tasty! I'm not really the type to measure, so please take my advice with a grain of salt and use whatever measurements you feel comfortable with or that you find online. I like to make my lamb burgers with lean ground lamb meat. I find that lamb meat is pretty fatty and stays moist and doesn't need to have a high percentage of fat. I season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary. As an extra plus, I like to stuff the burgers with feta cheese or halloumi. The key here is not to overcook them because the meat will dry up and so will the cheese. For toppings, you can pretty much add whatever you like, I like sautéed onions and red peppers.

What are some of the easiest Greek recipes?

I'm looking for something super simple to make this weekend. I'm so tired from a long work week and I just want something healthy and of course Greek to snack on. Does anyone have some super simple and easy Greek recipes that I can make at home?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter