1 - 1 of 1 Posts

nm1999

What is the best topic for a history paper about Greece?

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?

Did you know that the anchor was invented in Ancient Greece?

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.

The Greek debt crisis explained

Im not sure if this is the best representation because im not an economist, but just something to help others get a better idea of what happened in 2008 and what Greece is recovering from. We've been through a lot as a culture and a country but we've remained so strong!

Insightful interview with Mikis Theodorakis (RIP)

It is so cool to see Theodorakis talk like this, very sad that he is gone

What are your favorite Greek inventions?

Mine is the water mill hands down! This revolutionized so many things and made a huge impact!! What is your favorite Greek invention?

water-mill-720x480.jpg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter