1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

Now that so many places are hit by winter storms, and we're all closing up inside and staying far away from the omicron variant… I thought it would be nice to share a few of my favourite Greek soups for the winter time. These soups are super hearty and will keep you full and warm for a long time. I like to make some of them in advance and freeze them, or put them in jars to use throughout the week. For the recipes with beans, you can use the canned beans or fresh beans, depending on how much time you have.

1. Fakes (lentil)
2. Yourvalakia (meatball)
3. Fava (yellow split pea)
4. Avgolemono (egg lemon)

I love soup year round but it's extra special in the winter. I also love the white bean soup and also a simple vegetable soup. Avgolemono is my all time favorite though.

Fasolada is another good one

Reactions: francescool
I love fish soup with lemon and rice!

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.

Learning about Greek honey

As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

greek-honey.jpg

Food at Greek Weddings?

When it comes to planning a Greek wedding, what Greek food is traditional to serve? I am helping my friend play her wedding and want to gather information.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on the traditional Greek foods served at weddings? I'm curious about dishes that are must-haves on the big day, any symbolic meanings behind certain foods, and how the menu reflects Greek culture and traditions.

I remember at my cousin's wedding, they had kourabedies and some sort of traditional Cretan rice pilaf served at weddings (they're Cretan, but the wedding was in the US).

Most common seafood in Greece?

What is the most common seafood in Greece?

I recall having an abundance of delicious, fresh caught seafood but I can't remember the names of most of the fish. I had delicious octopus and that's the only thing I remember for sure.

I am going to Greece again - I thought I would try to figure what are some fish and other seafood, besides octopus, that I should look forward to?

I see octopus everywhere. I think I may have eaten fresh sardines at one point. Maybe some calamari and a different kind of lobster, too...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back