1 - 6 of 6 Posts

dubai_suzie

Great list of holidays from https://www.greeka.com/dodecanese/rhodes/festivals/

August 15th
On the 15th of August, there is a celebration for the Assumption of the Virgin. Many churches around the island celebrate with a Holy Mass in the morning and panigiri in the village square in the evening.

Jule 29th
On June 29th, there is the festival of Saint Paul on the small bay above Lindos.

April 23rd
On April 23rd, the locals celebrate the feast of Agios Georgios in Pastida.

July 6th
On the 6th of July, locals celebrate the feast of Agia Kyriaki in Kalathos.

Medieval Rose Festival
The Medieval Rose Festival was founded in 2005 and it takes place every summer, including various exhibitions, concerts, theatrical plays, and other events.

International Film Festival
The International Film & Visual Arts Festival is a perfect occasion where guests will enjoy documentaries, short films with environmental and ecological themes supported by parallel events, addressed to all ages.

Sound and Light Show
The Sound and Light Show is an impressive show organized in the Old Fortress of Rhodes Town.

Tpebop

the rose festival & sound /light show have not happened for a few years.

seleanor

the rose festival & sound /light show have not happened for a few years.
That's a shame...they sound interesting. How come they haven't happened? Was there not enough interest/funding?

k_tsoukalas

This is a great list! There are some great events in Greece in the summer.

Tpebop

OHI day on 28 October is not on list. A BIG celebration in the Greek calendar

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

OHI day on 28 October is not on list. A BIG celebration in the Greek calendar
I think these are Rhodes specific? Or am I wrong?

Intellectuals at Rhodes

I know some of the intellectual life in ancient Greece, but I am curious about its present state, since I hope that there will be a resurgence -- a needed resurgence. How is it in Rhodes? Meanwhile I'll mention one ancient Rhodian for the general reader: Panaitios (often referred to as Panaetius of Rhodes) was born in Rhodes, lived 185-110 B.C. He was a Stoic philosopher who travelled to and spent time in Rome and in Athens. In Rome he was a teacher of Cicero, who followed him and developed themes from his work, "Peri ton kathEkontos" . Cicero's work, which is translated and available online is titled "De Officiis" [= On Duties] . Panaitios maintained that virtue alone is not sufficient to attain a happy life; health and some resources are also needed. Along with the older Stoics, he maintained that humans ought to act according to nature, and that nature, by means of impulses, steers us to act properly/morally. So, Cicero dwells upon the "instinctive" love that parents have for children, for their spouses, and --to some extent -- for humans in general (on account of their being human). This love-based ethics was widely accepted during the Middle Ages theologians....

Another earthquake hits waters near the island of Rhodes

Another earthquake hit the waters near island of Rhodes this week, it was pretty small and there aren't any damages or losses on the island itself. Many of the islands suffer pretty frequent earthquakes because of their proximity to volcanic and tectonic plates. The island is prepared for this and takes many precautionary measures. The earthquake was 4.5 magnitude which would usually cause slight damage to buildings but gladly it was in the water.

Why you should visit Ancient Kamiros in Rhodes

Kamiros is a beautiful archeological site that is about 50km from Rhodes Town. I recommend driving there for sure, its always easiest. This town used to be one of the main cities in Rhodes and it was abandoned after it was damaged by an earthquake. I highly suggest visiting if you love history!!

ancient-kamiros-rhodes-900x504.jpg

Did you know that Rhodes is a medieval island?

Rhodes has so much more history than we know! This video showcases how its truly a medieval island :)

Did you know that the Italian influence in Rhodes is HUGE!

Many people don't know that Rhodes' Italian influence is pretty recent and not from Roman times. The last time Italians set foot in Rhodes was in 1943 after World War 1. It was only until 1947 that Greek became a part of the modern Greek state. Italians really contributed to the development of the island and to the culture and architecture. This is one of the reasons why Rhodes is so unique and has a pretty different vibe than some of the other islands.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter