1 - 6 of 6 Posts

dubai_suzie

Great list of holidays from https://www.greeka.com/dodecanese/rhodes/festivals/

August 15th
On the 15th of August, there is a celebration for the Assumption of the Virgin. Many churches around the island celebrate with a Holy Mass in the morning and panigiri in the village square in the evening.

Jule 29th
On June 29th, there is the festival of Saint Paul on the small bay above Lindos.

April 23rd
On April 23rd, the locals celebrate the feast of Agios Georgios in Pastida.

July 6th
On the 6th of July, locals celebrate the feast of Agia Kyriaki in Kalathos.

Medieval Rose Festival
The Medieval Rose Festival was founded in 2005 and it takes place every summer, including various exhibitions, concerts, theatrical plays, and other events.

International Film Festival
The International Film & Visual Arts Festival is a perfect occasion where guests will enjoy documentaries, short films with environmental and ecological themes supported by parallel events, addressed to all ages.

Sound and Light Show
The Sound and Light Show is an impressive show organized in the Old Fortress of Rhodes Town.

the rose festival & sound /light show have not happened for a few years.

the rose festival & sound /light show have not happened for a few years.
That's a shame...they sound interesting. How come they haven't happened? Was there not enough interest/funding?

This is a great list! There are some great events in Greece in the summer.

OHI day on 28 October is not on list. A BIG celebration in the Greek calendar

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
OHI day on 28 October is not on list. A BIG celebration in the Greek calendar
I think these are Rhodes specific? Or am I wrong?

Traveling to Rhodes this Year?

I have a friend who was supposed to go to Rhodes this year as part of a cruise. This isn't until September. She saw about the fires and is freaking out a little bit. The cruise company hasn't been in touch yet.

Do you guys have any advice on what she should do, so I can pass it along to her? She's not online much so I thought I'd post this for her.

Taking a boat trip around Rhodes?

Has anyone ever taken a boat trip around the island of Rhodes?

From what I've researched, there are a plethora of options, from luxurious yachts to quaint sailing boats, each promising an unforgettable journey across the Aegean Sea. 🌊

What I'm Looking For:

• Recommendations for boat tour companies you trust.
  • Tips on hidden gems and must-see spots along the coastline or nearby islets.
  • Any advice on the best time of day or year for smooth sailing.
  • Insights on what to bring apart from the obvious (sunscreen, hat, camera—you get the drift).
Anything you can help me with is very much appreciated!

Religious sites to visit on Rhodes

Today, I’m excited to share four religious sites that you might want to visit as you journey along a certain road. Each of these destinations offers a unique insight into the spiritual legacy and historical context of the regions you'll find yourself immersed in. However, remember I haven't visited this myself. I am thinking of visiting them. So I will make updates as I find more information. For example, I just added more information about the names of the places so they're easier to find.

1. The Temple at the Crossroads

This serene temple, ancient as the surrounding groves, is named for the cross-section of paths where legend says the gods intersect. The atmosphere is calm, and it's said that prayers offered here meet deities from all four cardinal directions. Locals believe that if you meditate within the temple's main hall, you can sense the divine converging around you.

I think this place is also called Temple of Apollo Pythias but I could be wrong.

2. The Monastery Through the Mist

Nestled high in the mountains, this monastery is famous for the shroud of mist that enwraps it, making it feel like an ethereal resting place. History marks it as the site where the first saint of the region achieved enlightenment. Pilgrims hike hours up treacherous paths to be blessed where the clouds meet the heavens.

I think this place is also called Filerimos Monastery - should be easier to find under this name.

3. The Shrine within a Cave

A cave lodges in a cliffside on the third leg of our journey, housing a shrine illuminated only by the gentle glow of candles. An annual festival invites thousands, as they carry torches along narrow ledges to pay homage to the hermit who first discovered this sanctuary. The echo of religious chants is said to make the rocks themselves vibrate.

I think this is also called Cave of Archangel Michael.

4. The Ancient Blessing Well

A clearing in the dense woods reveals a well, adorned with flowers, that many claim has healing properties. Here, people of all faiths come to draw water and leave tokens of gratitude for the water spirit. This practice was believed to have been started by a traveling monk hundreds of years ago, imparting legends of miraculous recoveries to those who drank from it.

Is this place in the Fortification of Rhodes?

Note: I edited this to fix the error about the amount. I had 5 but decided I didn't want to talk about the fifth. I also put some more information about locations.

Rhodes tips for couples

I am looking for tips about visiting Rhodes for couples. I will be traveling with my significant other and no one else, and this is a first traveling without other people. I am excited!

We're looking for recommendations to make the most of our time on this beautiful island. Specifically, we're interested in:
  • Charming Places to Stay: We'd appreciate suggestions for quaint, romantic accommodations that offer a memorable experience.
  • Must-See Attractions: What are the top sights that we should not miss while in Rhodes?
  • Romantic Dining: Any hidden gems or restaurants with a romantic ambiance that would be perfect for a couple?
  • Secluded Spots: Are there any less-traveled beaches or quiet spots for some quality time away from the crowds?
  • Local Experiences: We're keen on engaging in activities or experiences unique to Rhodes – anything that's a bit off the beaten path.
  • Travel Tips: Any general advice on navigating Rhodes as a couple – transportation, safety, or local customs we should be aware of?
Thanks so much!

Recommend a good beach near Rhodes Town?

I am trying to plan my latest trip to Greece. To be honest, I don't like to plan too heavily, but I do like to know where I am staying and have a general idea of things to do. Whether or not I do them once I arrive is another story, but at least I have options.

There are a lot of beaches near Rhodes Town. Do you guys have a favorite? Some options I found:

• Elli Beach
  • Kato Petres Beach
  • Sachtouri Beach
I am just basing this list on what I found on the Internet. I have no attachment. I love beaches that have services close or as part of the beach. Like a toilet, maybe a restaurant or cafe.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back