1 - 5 of 5 Posts

toniiv

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

Reactions: Jawge

ellinasgolfer0320

Half of these words shouldn't even be here because they're essentially the same word. Ο/το/η should be counted as one word, not three because they are articles that mean the same thing. The same goes with στο/στην/σε and other words.

A few hours of entry level Greek classes will teach you all of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

For anyone learn agree, I recommend Duolingo. It's simple and free. It won't teach you complex conversations, but you'll learn the basics, especially for travel.

Jawge

Very nice. Thanks.

k_tsoukalas

Great video. I love the Easy Greek channel in general. Lots of great content!

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube