1 - 5 of 5 Posts

xmelissaa

Hi guys!! Like i’ve said before, I want to travel to Greece with some girlfriends, and we’re looking to experience some of the best nightlife that Greece has to offer. Would you all recommend Athens or Thessaloniki for nightlife? and Why?

TatianaS

Neither I'd go to the islands haha

Just kidding, you can find Kefi and nightlife in both cities!! In my experience the best bars and night clubs are always the ones closest to the beach!
One thing you can always count on in Greece is the amazing night life!

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

Athens for sure!! Just make sure that you don't go in August… that's when all the locals leave and the city is very empty.

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

I’m from Athens, so i’m a little bit biased I must say. But don’t worry, I’ve done my fair share of partying in Thessaloniki. Both are great, but the vibe is totally different. Athens has more of an artsy and grunge crowd, because of all the university students. There’s also an upscale and touristy crowd, but that’s less fun. Thessaloniki is great, more chill and beachy because of their beach bars and clubs. Athens will give you way more of a city feel, and you won’t feel like you’re in a summer vacation spot.

Iliana

Well it depends on what you are looking for. And there are a lot to think about. If you want to be more carefree I would recommend Thessaloniki where everything is within walking distance. So no worries if you have a drink or two or three.... Thessaloniki's people are more welcoming and know how to party whenever I visit them. On the other hand Athens is a bigger city so it has sth to offer for everyone.. though you must spend a lot on taxis..

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

Have you heard about the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki?

This museum is lesser known but I've heard amazing things from friends who have visited! There is a very interesting exhibit that is currently being put on titled "Visualizing humanity." It is the first project by the Network of Contemporary Culture Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports. I really would love to visit this exhibit since it showcases the phases of life and culture, mainly inspired by important moments in Greek history. There are four "chapters" in the exhibition, my favorite concept (whiteout seeing it of course) is Feels Like Home. :)

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

What is the best place to get a hotel in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of visiting Thessaloniki this summer to visit a few friends and learn more about the history of the city...I am wondering where would be the best place to stay? What is the niehgborhood that is most central and next to the most activities? What would you recommend?

What makes food and drink so special in Thessaloniki restaurants ?

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter