1 - 3 of 3 Posts

seleanor

Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

k_tsoukalas

Is it going on this year? I couldn't tell from the link. The street food in Greece is top notch - some of the best food I have ever eaten!

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.

What do people like about Thessaloniki?

I love these videos so much because I get great insight into what locals actually like about different cities. In my opinion, there's so much to like about Thessaloniki. I really love how the city has so much culture, and you can see how the influence of different empires has impacted the cities architecture. Would you agree with some of what I said in the video? Or do you have a different perspective? Let me know!

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter