1 - 3 of 3 Posts

xmelissaa

I am planning a girls trip to Athens and there is a woman we are traveling with who absolutely LOVES exploring street food. So, I told her I would ask you guys for recommendations. I know to watch out for gyros, souvlaki, pita, street corn, chestnuts (I know the corn and chestnuts are seasonal and I don't quite know when we are visiting yet. It's a big group and a lot of moving parts lol).

I am looking for not only what to look out for in terms of food, but also if you have recommendations as to a location where they have the best. Thank you in advance!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
One more greek street food you should definitely try is “Koulouri”. Koulouri is an iconic Greek snack. It’s individual bread rings that’s crispy on the out side and pillowy on a the inside. It’s generously covered with sesame seeds, with a sweet after taste. A must try for sure.
If staying in Athens center, you must visit the street aiolou. There are many different store as well as cafe and eateries. You should definitely try loukoumades. Two of my fav are, Krinos loukoumades (original store dating back to 1920) on aiolou st as well as Lukumades (abut more modern twist).

Reactions: xmelissaa

xmelissaa

One more greek street food you should definitely try is “Koulouri”. Koulouri is an iconic Greek snack. It’s individual bread rings that’s crispy on the out side and pillowy on a the inside. It’s generously covered with sesame seeds, with a sweet after taste. A must try for sure.
If staying in Athens center, you must visit the street aiolou. There are many different store as well as cafe and eateries. You should definitely try loukoumades. Two of my fav are, Krinos loukoumades (original store dating back to 1920) on aiolou st as well as Lukumades (abut more modern twist).
I loooove koulouri. You're right, it's so iconic. Thanks for weighing in about where to go in Athens!

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

Grilled Branzino Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

When I visit Greece, one of the dishes I love is to order grilled fish. Seafood is plentiful in Greece! Branzino is one of my favorites. However, when I am not in Greece, it's really hard to find this dish. So, I decided to learn how to make it. I found a great recipe in the Cooking Greek Cookbook. I took a pic and would like to share it with you! This is the traditional way it's made. In one of the tavernas I went to, they let me watch them cook for a while, and this looks very close to what they did.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

grilled-branzino-recipe.jpg

Moussaka Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorite Greek dishes is Moussaka, but I don't make it at home a lot. One of the issues is that I haven't found a great recipe, and I know that working with eggplant can be tricky. In the past, people have tried to explain to me how to make it, but their explanations have been confusing. I need a proper recipe that is easy to understand. It looks like Chef Pemi put together a great version of it that even someone like me, who has been intimidated by making my own moussaka, can follow. Not only that, but it looks yummy!

moussaka-recipe.jpg

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg

Recipes list for Greek holiday cooking

I want to experiment making some traditional Greek dishes over the holidays. While I am learning how to cook Greek foods, I am also getting to know the culture. So, what do people typical cook during this time of year? I have done some research and made a quick list:

** There's a Greek "stuffing" type of thing that involves chestnuts to serve at Thanksgiving - I am having a tough time tracking down a recipe

** Melamakarona - the Greek Christmas cookie

** Other Greek desserts seem pretty common this time of year, too - baklava, koulourakia, kourabedies

** Braised lamb shank - Greeks in the United States, from what I can tell, tend to cook Turkey - but this lamb shank recipe has come up as an option for Christmas dinner

Did I miss anything? I was thinking of making the Melemakarona cookies, and maybe learning how to make lamb shake and that "stuffing" (if I can find the recipe). I will do some other things if I have time, but these are the main ones.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube