1 - 5 of 5 Posts

xmelissaa

I am planning a girls trip to Athens and there is a woman we are traveling with who absolutely LOVES exploring street food. So, I told her I would ask you guys for recommendations. I know to watch out for gyros, souvlaki, pita, street corn, chestnuts (I know the corn and chestnuts are seasonal and I don't quite know when we are visiting yet. It's a big group and a lot of moving parts lol).

I am looking for not only what to look out for in terms of food, but also if you have recommendations as to a location where they have the best. Thank you in advance!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
One more greek street food you should definitely try is “Koulouri”. Koulouri is an iconic Greek snack. It’s individual bread rings that’s crispy on the out side and pillowy on a the inside. It’s generously covered with sesame seeds, with a sweet after taste. A must try for sure.
If staying in Athens center, you must visit the street aiolou. There are many different store as well as cafe and eateries. You should definitely try loukoumades. Two of my fav are, Krinos loukoumades (original store dating back to 1920) on aiolou st as well as Lukumades (abut more modern twist).

Reactions: xmelissaa

xmelissaa

One more greek street food you should definitely try is “Koulouri”. Koulouri is an iconic Greek snack. It’s individual bread rings that’s crispy on the out side and pillowy on a the inside. It’s generously covered with sesame seeds, with a sweet after taste. A must try for sure.
If staying in Athens center, you must visit the street aiolou. There are many different store as well as cafe and eateries. You should definitely try loukoumades. Two of my fav are, Krinos loukoumades (original store dating back to 1920) on aiolou st as well as Lukumades (abut more modern twist).
I loooove koulouri. You're right, it's so iconic. Thanks for weighing in about where to go in Athens!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

I agree about the koulouri, also I love, love the street corn! And of course, gyros are always a classic.

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube