1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

k_tsoukalas

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

This was fascinating! So cool that a Greek-American has this role.

Greek Ships Christmas Tradition?

I have heard of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas. I think it's called karakavi? Does anyone know anything more about it? This isn't a tradition my family adopted but I have heard of friends doing it. I am thinking of adding it to our holiday celebrations this year.

From what I can tell, people who don't have an actual boat decorate models of boats. At first, I thought based on pics I had seen of Greece in the past, that boat owners were just being festive. lol

When does Greek Lent start?

I know that Greek Easter is a week after Western Easter this year - sometime in Mid April. I actually observe Western Easter, but I love Greek cooking and culture, so I joined the forum.

I want to learn more about the religious side of things for Greeks. I know that lent is coming up, does anyone know when it starts? I am talking about Greek Lent. I might borrow some Greek lenten recipes as time goes on for my own lenten journey... But I will post on that when the time comes.

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?

Learning about Greek Orthodoxy - resources?

I am on an active process to learn more about Greek Orthodoxy - it has been my project for the past year. I am having a hard time tracking down resources. Does anyone have an y books to recommend?

I have read so far:

Thinking Orthodox - Eugenia Constantinou

Orthodox Study Bible

Welcome to the Orthodox Church - Frederica Matthews Green

Thanks!

Celebrating Greek Name Days

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube