1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

k_tsoukalas

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

This was fascinating! So cool that a Greek-American has this role.

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

Major differences between Greek and American weddings

Obviously, the main difference is that Greek weddings are usually held in a Greek orthodox church. But besides many of the religious and cultural factors, there are a few main differences that will probably stick out to any American people. The first is that Greek people do not have groomsmen or bridesmaids. The second, is that the wedding is not only about the couple, but the families as well. In Greek culture, the bride and grooms family are very involved in the wedding and it is considered a joining of their two families as well. Lastly, one of the major differences that I have noticed is that because the ceremony is a religious ceremony, it is not as personalized as American weddings where the couple exchanges vows.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter