1 - 3 of 3 Posts

seleanor

I love this show :) so informative and gives great insight on ancient Greek culture, with great visuals. To be honest I love anything that the History Channel does.

knicks_fan87

I love this show :) so informative and gives great insight on ancient Greek culture, with great visuals. To be honest I love anything that the History Channel does.

I love this! Thanks for sharing!

k_tsoukalas

This is awesome!! Greek mythology is a lot more interesting than people might realize. And it is interesting the lengths the temples went to in order to enhance the experience.

Did you know that Chronos (Greek god of time) is the father of the Olympians?

Chronos who is the Greek god of time actually had children! And many as many Greek gods and goddesses do, he had many! He had six children who are known as the Olympians. Their names are Chiron, Zeus, Hera, Posiden, Hades, Hestia and Demeter. They are perhaps some of the most important figures in Greek mythology, which is why it shocks me that so few people know that they are all Chronos' children. Not surprisingling, there was a lot of drama and incest that occurred between these siblings. Let me know if you'd like for me to post more about them!

How were Greek myths recorded and preserved through history

This is something I always wondered... how were Greek myths preserved and kept the same through so many years? I wonder if the myths were changed over the years and if they actually have remained the same as they were when they first created in Ancient Times.

The classic myth of the golden fleece

This is a classic story from Greek mythology. As you will see in the video, this fleece was from a coveted golde ram whose hair was made out of gold. Anyone who was able to get their hands on this fleece would be considered a true king and would gain access to power over the land. This is where the story gets a little more complicated...

Aion is the Greek god of time

There are many Greek mythological gods that represent some of the most important concepts in humanity, most importantly: time. Aion is the Greek god of time in addition to Chronos. Most of them share this responsibility, but Chronos came first in the timeline of the Greek gods. He is a symbol of the long reign of the Roman Empire and has a female counterpart known as Aeternitas. I couldn't find much more information, but if someone knows more about him please let me know :)

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter