1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greek_ggirl

Check out this beautiful video of the Melisanni cave

This is a gorgeous video of a gorgeous place. Thanks for sharing! Here is more information about it:

Making Christopsomo- Christmas Bread

I will be traveling to Greece this Christmas and I want to make some Christopsomo to give to my family when I go. I have never made it and want to run something by you - do these ingredients look right? It looks very similar to tsoureki to me but with a lot of spices. I am also nervous there's too much flour in the recipe.

- 8 cups or so of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of honey

Best Time to Visit the Sea Turtles in Kefalonia

I am hoping to some day see the sea turtles in Kefalonia and I think next year might be it. I hear they only go at certain times of the year. Does anyone know about this? If I travel in June will I see them? I heard that they also only go to certain beaches? Has anyone here seen them? I am so fascinated by this. I think June might be the best month for me to travel next year and Kefalonia looks like a great place in general.

Caves and Lake in Kephalonia

I saw some photos of the caves in Kephalonia and there's a lake near one of them, too. I think the cave is called Drograti and the lake is Melissani. I got the impression they were close to each other? Are they?

I would love to visit both - seems like such a natural and beautiful place. I don't want it to be busy when I go - what is a good time of year to visit? Do you have any tips?

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?

Information about caving at Melissani Cave

I'm thinking of visiting Melissani Cave over the summer when I am in Kefalonia. I thought I'd share some information I found about it:

Melissani Cave is a hidden gem of Kefalonia, a Greek island situated in the heart of the Ionian Sea. This naturally occurring underground wonder was discovered only in 1951 after an earthquake's destruction revealed its existence. The entrance of the cave is camouflaged by dense forest, which makes entering the cave feel like an adventure on its own. Once inside, the view of the water is nothing short of breathtaking.

Due to the wide gaps in the cave's ceiling, sunlight floods in, giving the illusion of an emerald turquoise color. Such stunning natural beauty is hard to come by, and the Melissani Cave is the perfect venue for adventurers who want to experience something different.

Melissani Cave is home to a network of underground waterways that lead to the beautiful Melissani Lake. The lake's crystal clear water is naturally heated and is perfect for a refreshing dip, but before you jump in, please heed the safety guidelines and adhere to the do's and don'ts. The atmosphere in the cave is wet and humid, contributing to the growth of exotic plants and animals. It's an excellent opportunity to see different kinds of wildlife, so keep your eyes peeled for bats, snails, and eels.

The cave's interior is relatively spacious, so feel free to enjoy a leisurely stroll, savoring the beauty of the rock formations that have been formed over millions of years. This breath-taking scenery is the perfect background for some epic photos to share with your friends back home.

Immersing yourself in the cave's mystical ambiance is an experience like no other. We recommend that you go on a guided tour with experienced caving professionals who can provide you with interesting information about the cave's geological history, making your exploration more meaningful and memorable. The guided tour is equally safe and allows you to bask in the cave's ambiance thoroughly. Corrosion caves, such as the Melissani Cave, require a cautious approach to protect yourself and the cave's ecosystem. So, remember to go with a professional guide even if you have experience in caving/speleology.
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back