1 - 2 of 2 Posts

acamp7

For anyone who is just as curious as me :)

Reactions: iemarcom

k_tsoukalas

This was fascinating. We hear about the events of history, but it is easy to forget that it is people and families who were shaping these historical and cultural events.

Constantine the Great impacted Greece more than you know

Constantine the Great united the Roman empire and made a huge impact on how Greece and Greek Culture played a role in the "Roman" or "Byzantine" empire. His mother was Greek, from Smyrna which is one of the reasons why so much of his influence was in Greece. Constantinople, now known as Istanbul, was named after him and he also is a saint. Many many people in Greece are now named Konstantinos and Konstantina, after his legacy. It is said the Constantine was a religious pioneer although this has also been contested and many criticize him for being violent.

Check out this webinar about the Greek immigrant experience

Excellent webinar, describes a Greek immigrant experience in the United States. Presentation is brought by the Hellenic-American Cultural Center & Museum and includes interviews and presentations by experts and professionals. Absolute favourite part of the presentation was looking at the images from the historical archives which show images dating back to the 1900's. I hope you all enjoy it!

I Roza tis Smirnis (Roza of Smyrna) is a beautiful Greek movie set back in time

This is one of my favourite Greek movies where I got to learn about Greek history without it being a boring documentary! This movie is in present day and in history and goes over the history of Smyrna which is a very important city in the history of the Byzantine and Ottoman empire. The story follows a young woman who is made aware of the tragic past other families history as a result of the genocide in 1922 and the burning of the city of Smyrna.

Greco-Buddhism

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

800px-Gandhara_Buddha_%28tnm%29.jpeg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter