1 - 3 of 3 Posts

tomipark

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Reactions: Hash

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing! Sometimes a video helps illustrate what at Greek Orthodox baptism is like for those that are not familiar.

k_tsoukalas

This child did SOOO well. It was a great video too, and it showed the details of the ceremony. Most videos I've seen have only showed the part with the water.

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Here is an overview of the beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church

Of course, there are many variations as to what every individual Greek Orthodox person believes. Either way, there are a few official beliefs of the Greek Orthodox Church, many of which stand out from different Christian sects. The main belief of the Greek Orthodox Church is the holy trinity, which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This video does a pretty good job of explaining everything, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any questions about Greek Orthodoxy, I would love to answer them.\

The rise of historical Anatolian cuisine in Greece

Over the past few years, I've noticed more and more trendy Anatolian restaurants opening up. These restaurants feature historical food cooked by Greeks whose ancestors used to live in modern day Turkey. The cuisine is very similar to Greek food, but has a few twist such as the use of red pepper powder or paste from Aleppo. Some classic dishes include Smyrneika soutzoukakia and kebab. It's really nice to see that these Greek traditions are being revived for the modern Greeks to enjoy.

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

How to save money at your Greek wedding

Greek weddings can get pretty pricey, especially if you have a lot of guests and you're planning on getting married in the peak summer season. The best thing you can do is start planning your wedding early, so that you have time to shop around and see which vendors and venues will be the cheapest. Your wedding dress and suit will definitely be much cheaper if you buy it from Greece, so I do suggest that you get it there if you're able to get it done in time for the wedding. Outdoor venues also tend to be a lot cheaper indoor ballrooms. My last tip of advice, it's going to the destination that isn't so popular. If you want to get married in Santorini or Mykonos, your budget is definitely going to be much bigger in comparison to the mainland or Crete for example. Let me know if you have any more tips and if this helps!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter