1 - 4 of 4 Posts

tomipark

I'm not Greek, so I don't know how biased or accurate this overview is (it seems to be pretty thorough though). I would love to hear everyones thoughts!

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

I'm not Greek, so I don't know how biased or accurate this overview is (it seems to be pretty thorough though). I would love to hear everyones thoughts!

Hahahaha - I had a lot of fun watching this. I wasn't going to but the guy is actually pretty funny. Ok, on the whole everything he said was pretty accurate except for the ratio of women to men in the country. He claimed 60-65% women. That is plain ridiculous! It's actually about 50.8% which still means there are a lot more women to men in Greece. Other than that gross error, the rest was accurate and funny.

Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

Hahahaha - I had a lot of fun watching this. I wasn't going to but the guy is actually pretty funny. Ok, on the whole everything he said was pretty accurate except for the ratio of women to men in the country. He claimed 60-65% women. That is plain ridiculous! It's actually about 50.8% which still means there are a lot more women to men in Greece. Other than that gross error, the rest was accurate and funny.
I'm glad you liked it!! I had a good laugh too, I like when people don't take things too seriously :)

Reactions: Vangelis

k_tsoukalas

This was a fun video, I agree. I don't know if this is a good source or even if it is accurate but this site claims there are 96.38 men per 100 women... https://knoema.com/atlas/Greece/topics/Demographics/Population/Male-to-female-ratio

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Getting a Good Overview of Greek History

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture because I married a Greek-American. I figure that history is part of that! So, can you guys share with me some great resources that will give me an overview of the history? I found this on Youtube, don't know if it is any good. I know, I am not a kid. But I figured this would be a nice overview. But, this only covers Ancient Greece. We are planning a trip to Greece and my husband loves history, so I want to at least have a foundation before we go to the country.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

The Battle Between The Walls 392 BCE

In February 392 BCE, blood flowed through the streets of Corinth. The citizens of this great metropolis had turned on one another in an act of unforgiving bloodshed. Those in favour of continuing the war with Sparta initiated the violence and those advocating for peace were their victims. Sickened by the slaughter; two Corinthian men, Pasimelus and Alcimenes fled the city. Risking life and limb they escaped the carnage by swimming along a swollen watercourse, heading for the Spartan base at Sikyon.

To learn more follow the link below

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-7
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube