1 - 4 of 4 Posts
As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!

Linda554

If it is sticking together in the package, I’d buy a different brand.
Also, make sure they are cold but thoroughly thawed from the freezer.
The trick is to keep the sheets you are waiting to use moist until you’re ready for them. Keep them covered with Saran Wrap and a damp tea towel until you use them.

Reactions: axariotisxy
Unfortunately I have a hard time finding different brands. Stores are often out of phyllo entirely. Maybe I should try making it myself but I am concerned that is a bit too ambitious for me right now. Thank you, Linda554 for the tips! Someone told me to defrost in fridge and I think I am going to try that next and see if it helps. Hopefully that is the problem and not the brand.

k_tsoukalas

It's all about the thawing process. Unfortunately, if the store let them though then refroze them, nothing that you do for thawing will make a difference. The package is already ruined.

So, I would try these things:

1. Make sure you thaw in refrigerator. Putting them on counter to thaw will make them stick.
2. Try buying the phyllo from a different store, in case they aren't doing things properly
3. Try buying a different brand

For the most part, for me, step 1 works nearly every time. I used to defrost it on the counter.

Greek Cheeses to Eat in Greece...

Growing up outside of Greece, I ate a lot of Feta Cheese ... I mean, it's delicious! Also, it's the easiest to find.

I know that there are a ton of different cheeses in Greece, though, and the cheeses that are available are somewhat regional.

Here is where I know I am definitely going:

Athens
Corinth
Kythira

And if I have time, I was hoping to head to Santorini. I will be in Greece for about a month and I am not sure how long I will stay in each place. There's a lot to see and do in Athens alone, plus I have people to visit.

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube