1 - 2 of 2 Posts

knicks_fan87

I'm a big fan of Mediterranean cuisine and lately, I've been craving some authentic Greek olive bread. I've tried a couple of recipes, but I still feel there's something missing to make it just right.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or secret ingredients that can elevate my Greek olive bread? I'm especially interested in:
  • Types of olives that work best
  • Tips for getting the perfect crust
  • Any herbs or spices that add authentic flavor
  • Baking techniques that ensure a soft, flavorful inside
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.

Authentic Greek olive bread, or "eliópsomo," is a delicious treat! To elevate your recipe, try using high-quality Greek Kalamata olives for their rich flavor. Adding a bit of fresh rosemary or thyme can enhance the taste.

Mix in some extra virgin olive oil from Greece for authenticity and extra moisture. A splash of ouzo or a pinch of orange zest can add a unique aromatic touch. Ensure your dough has a good rise for a light, airy texture. You can also sprinkle sea salt and sesame seeds on top before baking for that perfect finishing touch.

Gluten Free Pastries in Greek Cooking?

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Advice for Making Taramasalata from Scratch?

I'm hoping to get some advice on making taramosalata from scratch. I've tried a few recipes, but I can't seem to get the texture and flavor just right. Here are a few specific questions I have:
  • Which type of roe should I use? I've seen recipes that use carp, cod, and even bottarga. Does it make a significant difference in taste and texture?
  • What's the best method for achieving a smooth consistency? My attempts often turn out a bit too lumpy or grainy.
  • Any tips on balancing the flavors? Some batches come out too salty or too bland. What's the ideal ratio of roe to other ingredients like lemon juice and olive oil?
  • Do you have any secret ingredients or techniques? I've read about people adding things like bread or potatoes. How do these additions affect the final product?
I'd love to hear your suggestions or see your tried-and-true recipes. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tips for working with phyllo?

I'm planning to make some traditional Greek dishes and I've decided to tackle working with phyllo dough for the first time. I've heard it's quite delicate and can be tricky to handle, so I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience.

What are the best tips for keeping the phyllo sheets from tearing? Should I work with them straight out of the fridge, or let them come to room temperature first? Any recommendations for the best brands to buy or tips for homemade phyllo? Also, how do you keep the dough from drying out while you're working with it?

I’m aiming to make spanakopita and baklava, so any specific tips for these recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back