1 - 7 of 7 Posts

francescool

I've been trying to learn a bit of Greek here and there, and I have found the one of the easiest ways to do that is to make some Greek friends! What better way to practice Greek than to practice with locals. If you don't live in a Greek neighborhood, the easiest way to find Greeks in your local community is through the church or through businesses. Many Greeks have thriving businesses such as Greek restaurants and diners. Luckily enough, I've always had Greek friends growing up and was pretty familiar with the culture since I was able to visit Greece with some of them when I was younger. After you make some Greek friends, they'll be able to teach you some small talk and you can slowly build and learn more and more Greek. The great thing is that they can also recommend you their favourite TV shows, movies, and music so that you can practice on your own. Any other tips are welcome! Efharisto!

Reactions: Jawge

ellinasgolfer0320

That's probably one of the best ways to learn. You should also try to make Greek friends in Greece. Conversationexchange.com is a good place to start if you want to meet people online from Greece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawge and acamp7

acamp7

kef_john68

Yes! I am trying to brush up on my Greek, as I plan to go to Greece in the summer. Using Pimsleur so that I can practice speaking anytime I get the chance. I also try to watch Greek movies and shows when I can.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

Yes! I am trying to brush up on my Greek, as I plan to go to Greece in the summer. Using Pimsleur so that I can practice speaking anytime I get the chance. I also try to watch Greek movies and shows when I can.
I've never heard of the this website, but it looks great! I might get it for French

Cryptomaniac

I know this is very common advice, but I suggest you visit Greece first if you haven't. For example, you might choose a city like Athens since it has a rich culture and history. On top of that, you can easily book some free tours of the city like this one https://www.freetour.com/athens. I am sure during your stay there, even for some days, you'll manage to find some friends that speak both English and greek. I think this is the best way to understand if you truly want to learn this language and make the whole process easier.

Last edited:

k_tsoukalas

The sooner you dive in and speak the language and use it, the better you'll get. When I learn a language, I don't seem to make strides until I start using it. Great advice!

Embrace the Greek way of life.A transportive Greek experience. Papadakis Summer Festival!

Be aware! Some beaches in Greece may be nude

This is just something to be aware of when traveling to Greece and this may surprise you if youre not from Europe. Some beaches in Greece are nude, and when visiting a non-nude beach, you might see some women topless. This is not as popular is it used to be in Greece. I have noticed less and less women going topless but it still happens. It is not considered rude in Greece to do, especially in front of small children. If you don't feel comfortable, just politely move away or go to another beach!

Tourism poised to absorb job-seeking Ukrainian refugees |

Greek tourism industry bounces back despite Europe's cost of living crisis.

They are already discussing to increase the hotel rates by at least 25%!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter