1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dimi_pat

I love gyros but I noticed something - sometimes the version I get in Greece is much different than where it is here at home. I don't know if that is intentional or not...

I tend to love the gyros that have the shaved meat from the spit thing that you see in gyro shops in Greece, and I do enjoy it with Greek fries inside (which I do get in Greece a lot - but when at the gyro shop they always give me a choice).

Anyway, I am wondering... what is the actual, traditional way to make a gyro?

ellinasgolfer0320

Gyros* is the singular form for the food, and gyroi (pronounced gyree) is the plural.. What you have in the USA (if you're from the USA) is americanized and a fusion of schwarma. The brown gyros meat that we have here is not served on a gyros in Greece, and we don't serve fries in the gyros.

I'm Athens you get chicken or pork. If you get pork then it comes with tzatziki. If you get chicken then it comes with "sauce". Up north (thessaloniki) they offer the same but they also have another option available. Fries are also always served in the gyros

Last edited:

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
Gyros* is the singular form for the food, and gyroi (pronounced gyree) is the plural.. What you have in the USA (if you're from the USA) is americanized and a fusion of schwarma. The brown gyros meat that we have here is not served on a gyros in Greece, and we don't serve fries in the gyros.

I'm Athens you get chicken or pork. If you get pork then it comes with tzatziki. If you get chicken then it comes with "sauce". Up north (thessaloniki) they offer the same but they also have another option available. Fries are also always served in the gyros
I had fries in my gyros consistently on Crete - they asked - and all the Greeks - half of them got the fries in the gyro and half didn't. I loved the gyros in Athens, too, and I love it with the chicken. I don't recall seeing the choice of fries in the gyros in Athens or other places in Greece besides Crete. Thanks for sharing this info!

Learning about Greek wine

On a recent trip to the Peloponnese region, I had the pleasure of tasting a robust Agiorgitiko, which was a perfect companion to the local lamb dishes. I also visited the Domaine Skouras, a family-owned winery where the tradition has been passed down for generations – their Megas Oenos blend is to die for.

While I remain enchanted by the wines from this region, I'm just getting started. I've heard whispers of lesser-known grape varieties with complex profiles, such as Assyrtiko. Has anyone here had the opportunity to indulge in this rare find? Share with us your tasting notes!

For those looking to dive deeper into the world of Greek wine, there are some magnificent wine routes that weave through lush vineyards and offer a glimpse into the country's rich wine culture. The 'Wines of Crete' festival is also an upcoming event I have on my radar. It's a great opportunity to sample a diverse array of Cretan wines and perhaps even unearth a new favorite.

What Greek wines have beckoned to you? Any particular food pairings that brought out the best in them? Or perhaps you have a favorite vineyard that you would recommend visiting.

What is Mahlepi Spice Exactly?

I have some Greek recipes that call for Mahlepi (in Greek) - also known as Maheleb and other names, depending on the language. I have recently found a source near me - a place where I can buy it - so I can try some of the recipes.

I also did some research about what it is! Thought I'd share:

This unique spice has its roots in the fragrant cherry plums of the Prunus mahaleb tree in the Middle East. The seeds inside these little fruits are ground to make the mahleb spice that we've come to love.

Mahleb hits you with a sweet, floral scent, and a flavor that's a mix of bitter almond and cherry, with just a touch of spice. It's a star player in Greek baked goods like tsoureki, a sweet bread that's a staple during Easter but is also used in many other pastries and breads.

Does this look like a good koliva recipe?

I am planning a memorial service coming up in about two weeks. The person who makes the koliva for everyone in the church is going to be out of town, and I can't find another person to do it. So I thought I'd make it.

I found this recipe - does it look like it would work?

Ingredients:

• 2 cups whole wheat berries
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup black raisins
  • 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp ground cloves
  • Garnish: pomegranate seeds, whole almonds, and powdered sugar

Instructions:

1. Preparing the Wheat:
  • Rinse the wheat berries thoroughly in a strainer under cold running water.
  • Place the wheat in a large pot and add water until it's about 2 inches above the wheat level.
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours, or until they are tender but not mushy, adding more water as necessary.
  • Drain the wheat and spread it out on a towel or a large baking tray to dry out completely, preferably overnight.
  1. Toasting Ingredients:
  • Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  • Spread the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5-8 minutes, till golden; be vigilant as they can burn quickly.
  • Repeat this process with the almonds and the walnuts, ensuring each is nicely toasted but not burnt.
  1. Mixing the Koliva:
  • Once the wheat is dry, combine it in a large bowl with powdered sugar, toasted walnuts, toasted sesame seeds, toasted almonds, golden and black raisins, cinnamon, and cloves.
  • Stir the mixture gently to combine.
  1. Assembling the Dish:
  • Mound the mixture onto a large serving platter, shaping it into a dome with your hands or a spoon.
  • Decorate the top with whole almonds and pomegranate seeds creating a cross or other religious symbols as is traditional.
  • Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top to cover.

Baklava Crumble for Cheesecake

I know that this isn't a traditionally Greek dish, just Greek inspired, but we have fun with it in my family.

You take a regular cheesecake recipe (the kind you have to bake), prepare it, and set it aside while prepping the baklava part.

Brush the cheesecake pan with better. Line it with a few sheets of phyllo - I eyeball it - and then brush it with butter. You want Mayne 3-4 layers of phyllo but make sure the pan is covered.

Prepare the nut filling of 2 cups ground nuts, 1/2 cup sugar, and about a teaspoon or more of cinnamon (I eyeball it) in a bowl. Sprinkle over the phyllo. Pour the cheesecake filling over it, and bake the cheesecake as directed in the recipe.

When about to serve, prepare a simple syrup with honey, water, sugar, orange zest, and honey. You'll need about a cup of syrup.

baklava-cheesecake.jpg

Traditions associated with Greek coffee?

When I visit people in Greece, it usually involves Greek coffee, a cold glass of water, and whatever sweets there are around - like Loukoumi, spoon sweets, fruit.. it seems like it's all about hospitality and spending time together, while sharing the bounty of what you have.

One time, a yiayia actually did a "reading" using coffee grounds. I didn't understand all the Greek, but the reading was fun and lighthearted and I wondered how she decided what to say.

Do you guys have similar experiences? The social aspect has been a big part of it for me.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT