1 - 8 of 8 Posts

redsoxdw_

I am not quite there yet, but I am looking to retire in Greece - I just am not sure where is the best place to go. My family is originally from various places all over Greece, and I do have family and friends all over the country. However, I am not really tied to a particular location. I was thinking that Athens might be the best location for practical purposes - there's a lot to do, plus here are a lot more "services" there (hospitals, shops, restaurants, etc). However, it might be a little more expensive than other places in Greece? I am also looking at other places, like Peloponnese, Crete, Kefalonia, Zakynthos... What do you guys think?

Reactions: Hash
I would consider looking into the Peloponnese. It's beautiful and some parts of it are close enough to Athens for you to have some of the services you might be looking for. It's not super close, but might be close enough. And I think the Peloponnese is less expensive than the Athens area.

I retired to Rhodes to the village of afandou in 2009. best thing I did. Have no regrets.The health service is great by my own experience.A few years ago I fell & broke my left hip.Had replacement hip surgery.The treatment I received was excellent.My doctor in the village also works @ Euromedica The private hospital on Rhodes.I cannot fault him.

Kefalonia, Rhodes and Crete as well as the Peloponnese if you wish to be on mainland are great options already with strong expat communities and large enough to have hospitals, regular transport and other necessary infrastructure.

Kefalonia, Rhodes and Crete as well as the Peloponnese if you wish to be on mainland are great options already with strong expat communities and large enough to have hospitals, regular transport and other necessary infrastructure.

This is really great advice. I think I need to research where the expat communities are the strongest and maybe go from there?

Why do you want to move where there are expats . I live on Rhodes & stay away from them.Moved ro Rhodes to intergrate with the locals. Not become part of little britain

Why do you want to move where there are expats . I live on Rhodes & stay away from them.Moved ro Rhodes to intergrate with the locals. Not become part of little britain
I second that! It seems like it would be more fun to really dive in and learn about the Greek culture. It's something to think about.

I'm not there yet either but I'm getting ready for it. I bought an apartment in inner city Athens (not the touristy areas though - stayed away from Plaka/Monastiraki). I'm used to living in a city and prefer the vibrancy and variety of things to do. Athens has so many cultural events all year around from plays, operas, music, cinema, restaurants, cafes, bars, etc, etc, etc. But it's also a great location to just get on a ferry boat and pick any one of 200 islands to go to. Accommodation is cheap on the islands so I can go for months if I want. Also from Athens I can go to the airport and fly to Paris/Madrid/Berlin/etc. It was a no-brainer for me. It all depends on what you prefer.

Finding Good Food Tours of Greece?

I love Greek cuisine. I cook it all the time and I love trying new recipes. The time has come for me to think about planning a food tour! Does anyone have any advice?

I would love to hear from members of this forum about their experiences with food tours in Greece.
  1. Which regions or cities offer the best food tours?
  2. Any specific food tour companies or guides that you would recommend?
  3. What were some of the standout dishes or culinary experiences on your tour?
  4. Are there options for people with dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians?
  5. What should one expect in terms of cost and duration?
Any tips or advice on how to get the most out of such a tour would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Is Marathon a good day trip from Athens?

I've been planning an itinerary for my upcoming trip to Athens, and I've always been fascinated by the historical significance of Marathon. Considering its role in ancient history and the famous battle that took place there, it seems like a place that might be worth a visit.

However, I'm on the fence about dedicating a whole day trip to Marathon. From what I understand, it isn’t too far from Athens, but I'm trying to weigh up whether the experience is worthy compared to spending that time exploring more within the city itself.

Has anyone made the day trip to Marathon from Athens? Was it an enriching experience, and what are the can't-miss sights? Is the archeological site/museum there engaging enough for a history buff? Also, how about the logistics – is it easy to get to by public transport, or would you suggest renting a car or going with a tour?

I am just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if I should plan to stay overnight. Thanks!

marathon-greece.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back