1 - 3 of 3 Posts

acamp7

Cretan is a very distinct dialect that is spoken on the island of Crete. Many think that it is reminiscent of Cypriot Greek but in my opinion they are pretty different. Having spent some time in Greece two summers ago, I appreciate how different all of the different dialects in Greece are. So many aspects of the Cretan dialect reflect how unique the Cretan culture is. Crete has a strong military history and background as well as a strong agricultural industry. All of these are present in the dialect!

Reactions: Hash

greekgal77

This is fascinating - the Cretan dialect is different, and I didn't initially learn this dialect. However, after a week in Crete my ear seems to tune into it.

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting. It is slightly different from the formal Greek that I learned, and I have family members that sound like this on one side of the family.

This is the best road trip itinerary for Crete!

First, I recommend that you start off in Chania and take a day trip to Samaria Gorge if you like nature and Elafonisi Beach. Then, make your way to Rethymno and enjoy the beaches and the culture of the city. After that, I recommend you go to Heraklion and visit Knossos especially, the ancient sites are a must see there. You don't have to hit all of these cities, but I really recommend it if you want to get a good feel of Crete.

Where can I eat Cretan food outside of Crete?

Cretan cuisine is some of the best that I’ve ever tried. I don’t visit the island too often, but I do visit mainland Greece. I have two young kids, and the trip to Athens is already enough for them. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Cretan cuisine in Athens or Attiki specifically, but anywhere else on the mainland would do (Corinth for example). I would love to try out some spots. 😊

The beautiful traditional costumes of Crete

Crete has some of the most beautiful culture and costumes! This video outlines all of the pieces of the traditional costumes and what each part is used for. As you can see, many parts of Cretan culture are based in military lifestyle. Cretans are known as warriors and played a major role in defending Greece from both the Ottoman Empire as well as Nazi regime.

Where Exactly is the Cave of Zeus?

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube