1 - 6 of 6 Posts

anonymous

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
According to the scripture he is the son of Apollo and Apate
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
According to Apollo’s manuscript
Somnios lives today as a human and reincarnates when the the body dies

francescool

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
This is very interesting and eerie. How interesting that we don't know much about him yet he is the god of so many bad things that go on in our own head. Sounds very fitting to me. Dreams are the most unknown and mystical things in my opinion.

nadellii

His name is Somnios

Where did you hear about him?

amygdalE

His name is Somnios

Does he reincarnate? Where did ancient Greeks get this idea? We do: Look at most politicians and pseudo-philanthropists. (Dreams, whether good or bad, are deceptions to begin with.) //
And who is Morpheus? Wikipedia points out that, according to Ovid, Morpheus [so named in Latin] is one of the many sons of Somnius. So, the Somnios in question must be from an older myth, which has been largely forgotten. Thank you, Anonymous, for your post.

Last edited:

amygdalE

His name is Somnios

Please, I, too. would like to know where YOU found this information. Is the name/word "Somnios" an extant ancient Greek one? I have consulted some online Greek lexicons and unfortunately I have not found it. It's possible that somebody played a joke on readers by transposing the Latin "Somnius" (which is a translation of Hypnos) into that similar Greek word. When I entered it in online translators [to English, French, or Latin], the response was that they did not have a translation. // Thank you.

amygdalE

Please, I, too. would like to know where YOU found this information. Is the name/word "Somnios" an extant ancient Greek one? I have consulted some online Greek lexicons and unfortunately I have not found it. It's possible that somebody played a joke on readers by transposing the Latin "Somnius" (which is a translation of Hypnos) into that similar Greek word. When I entered it in online translators [to English, French, or Latin], the response was that they did not have a translation. // Thank you.
Correction: The Latin word that translates Hypnos is Somnus [which > Ital. Sonno]; the Latin Somnia (plural of Somnium) are the things/forms which are seen in dreams. The word Somnius literally means "Of Sleep" but was obviously used as a noun, and it corresponds to Gr. *Somnios, which, like Anonymous, is nowhere to be found and, threfore, seems to have been coined by a prankster from the look-alike Latin word.

These are the Argonauts ⚔️

The Argonauts are the lesser known heroes! They were a group of heroes who followed Jason to retrieve the golden fleece. According to the myth, there was about 90 of these warriors, who were pivotal in achieving the dangerous conquest of the fleas. The argonauts were named after Jasons ship, the Argos, which they used on their journey.

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

Visit the temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion

The temple of Poseidon is one of the mainlands most beautiful ancient Greek structures. The temple was built by the ancient Greeks in honor of the god Poseidon, who is said to be the god of the sea. Near the Temple, there are freestanding statues of young men. The temple was built strategically by the ancient Greeks, at the very tip of the mainland and overlooking the sea. That's why this temple is so beautiful to visit, since you have a great view of the ocean and the horizon.

The story of Hercules

Hercules is probably one of the most famous Greek figures, having a famous Disney movie after his story. As most Greek mythology stories, his starts from a dark place, being unwanted by his family. The Oracle provided him with 12 labors that he needed to defeat. This video goes over all of them!

Did you know that you can book Greek mythology vacation packages?

I can't believe this even exists! But I'm so glad it does. This website offers vacation packages that are based on Greek mythology. If you've always wanted to go to famous places in Greek mythology, you definitely need to look into this. I've only been to a few locations on this list, but I definitely recommend Athens, Mount Olympus and Delphi for those that are interested in travelling through history and time while in Greece.

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter