1 - 1 of 1 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Most iconic dishes in Greek cuisine?

I love cooking Greek and I have my favorites and so does my family. We love - spanakopita, avgolemono, souvlaki, keftedes, dolmades, yemista, and I few more. I am curious, which dishes are iconic and you can't live without?

I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially for:
  • Traditional main courses
  • Must-try appetizers
  • Desserts that are quintessentially Greek
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!

How to perfectly grill souvlaki?

I'm planning to grill some souvlaki this weekend, and I want to make sure I get it just right. I've heard that the key to perfect souvlaki is all in the marinade and grilling technique. Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or recipes they'd be willing to share?

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
  • Marinade ingredients and timing: How long should I marinate the meat, and what are the essential ingredients?
  • Grilling technique: What's the best way to achieve that perfect char without drying out the meat?
  • Skewers: Any tips on the best type of skewers to use? Should I soak wooden ones?
  • Sides and sauces: What are your favorite accompaniments to serve with souvlaki?
I appreciate any help you can offer!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back