1 - 5 of 5 Posts

auroracoor1

Lately I've noticed how salty jarred grape leaves are. How do you guys handle this? I've tried rinsing, which helps, but I feel there is something missing. I haven't had a chance to pick my own grape leaves for a while, but when I do pick them, I just blanch them and therefore don't use any salt.

I am not used to having all that salt in this dish, I thought it was too overpowering. What should I do?

Luana

I was taught to rinse leaves well and put in boiling water about 2 minutes. I didn't know boiling reduced salt but mine don't taste salty, so maybe that's what does it.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas

Luana

Just talked with cousin, and she boils briefly also. Didn't know it reduced salt, but guess it does. You can also make dolmades with Swiss chard, cabbage, even lettuce.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Briefly boiling the leaves is a great idea. Not only does it reduce the salt but tenderizes them as well.

k_tsoukalas

I soak jarred grape leaves in a big dish of water for like an hour before I make the stuffed grape leaves. Everyone has good advice here. In Greece, they regularly use other things besides grape leaves - it depends on what is available.

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.

Quick Greek-style pasta dishes?

Last time I was in Greece I ate a lot of pasta dishes. It seems like a common dish for every day cuisine. I had a version with Greek yogurt - I would love to learn how to make it! I also had something with an egg on it, someone told me it was from Mani? Does anyone know anything about these dishes? What other pasta dishes do Greeks eat?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube