1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Joni T.

My paternal grandfather is from Vassara near Sparta in the Peloponnese. I've never been there but would love to go. Does anyone have any input on where to stay, what to do in the area? I have no living relatives there that I know of, but I certainly would love to explore that area of Greece.

efhernandez_

I've never been to Vassara but I did a bit of research and it seems like such a cool place. There aren't any attractions I can find on google but It seems like hiking is pretty popular in the area, sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Joni T.

I've never been to Vassara but I did a bit of research and it seems like such a cool place. There aren't any attractions I can find on google but It seems like hiking is pretty popular in the area, sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Thanks for your input.

KRex

When we travel to see family in Sparti we stayed in Mystras. They have beautiful hotels there. 40 min drive to beaches from Sparti.

toniiv

When we travel to see family in Sparti we stayed in Mystras. They have beautiful hotels there. 40 min drive to beaches from Sparti.
My cousin visited Mystras and she said that it was so beautiful, I believe it's a UNESCO world heritage site!!

Jjackson

My paternal grandfather is from Vassara near Sparta in the Peloponnese. I've never been there but would love to go. Does anyone have any input on where to stay, what to do in the area? I have no living relatives there that I know of, but I certainly would love to explore that area of Greece.
Peloponnese area is amazing! If you get a chance to visit the Stoupa and Agois Nikolas area, it’s such a beautiful drive along the coast and north fat from Sparta. Have a great time!

Reactions: francescool

nadellii

Peloponnese area is amazing! If you get a chance to visit the Stoupa and Agois Nikolas area, it’s such a beautiful drive along the coast and north fat from Sparta. Have a great time!
I love Stoupa! It's right by the water which makes it a perfect place to visit for lunch and a beach day

Joni T.

I've never been to Vassara but I did a bit of research and it seems like such a cool place. There aren't any attractions I can find on google but It seems like hiking is pretty popular in the area, sorry I couldn't be of more help
Thanks. My purpose in going there would be to go into the church and check the likes of Baptismal records, if there is such a thing, and to just look around to get a flavor of it...from that location I'd want to explore other places near Sparta...

Reactions: nadellii

Joni T.

I love Stoupa! It's right by the water which makes it a perfect place to visit for lunch and a beach day
Wow. I'm getting multiple votes to go/stay in Stoupa if I explore that area. I know someone in our church stays in Stoupa overlooking the water when he visits cousins in his nearby horio.

Joni T.

Hmm...I'll have to research staying in Mystras with staying in Stoupa. Both sound lovely.

nadellii

Thanks. My purpose in going there would be to go into the church and check the likes of Baptismal records, if there is such a thing, and to just look around to get a flavor of it...from that location I'd want to explore other places near Sparta...
Good luck! I went on a huge search all around my family's villages in search of wedding records when I was trying to put together our family tree. Thankfully I found what I was looking for.

Joni T.

Good luck! I went on a huge search all around my family's villages in search of wedding records when I was trying to put together our family tree. Thankfully I found what I was looking for.
Did you actually have distant relatives to direct you around? I know of no living relative in Vassara. However, would you believe there's a Vassara Society in Boston that I became a member of? Interestingly enough, all of its members have roots in Vassara...many have heard of my ancestral name "Anastosopoulos" so who knows. I regret not having asked my grandparents questions when they were alive. Who would have thought in my retirement I'd be all into this!

Quarantining at a hotel in Greece upon arrival

Hi guys, i've been following the covid situation in Greece pretty carefully because I really want to visit this year. They just announced that people have to quarantine in their hotel or in a home for 7 days. Does anyone have any ideas about what this will be like? Or have any ideas about how to make this bearable?

Should I use credit cards or cash while traveling in Greece?

I don’t love to carry cash around when i’m traveling because i’m scared of being pickpocketed, but I know in certain countries many stores and restaurants don’t have credit card machines or they prefer cash. What is everyone's experience? And what would you recommend?

What are the most useful Greek phrases while traveling?

Hey everyone, I just moved to Greece and I'm trying to learn as much Greek as possible. A lot of my friends aren't Greek though, so it's hard to keep up. I am planning on taking a few vacations to the islands in the summer...what are some phrases that I should know and use while traveling?

Do you have any car rental tips for Greece?

Hi guys! I'll be renting a car to travel around Greece and take road trips with the fam. Is there anything specific about renting cars in Greece that I should know about? Thanks :)

Where is the safest place to travel in Greece?

I've been wanting to visit Greece for so long, but I'm a bit paranoid of traveling since I don't go very often. What's the safest place to visit in Greece? I'm scared of being robbed and stolen from in very touristy areas.

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter