1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png

Reactions: Hash

k_tsoukalas

The windmills have so much history and character, too. I try to include them in photos whenever I am I the island. They're so cool!

Samaria Gorge - Do I need to hike the whole thing?

I am not sure I am up for an 11 mile hike (I think that is how long it is!). Do I need to hike the whole thing to take some great photos of the gorge? I am trying to picture what it is like there.

In another thread, someone said to take the ferry to Sfakia. I Heard that you can see some of it and only hike in a short way. Is that where most of the pretty photo opps are? I also heard great things about the beach in that village!

What do you guys think?

Essentials to See in Crete?

I live in Greece, but am a bit nomadic. I plan to spend an extended period of time on Crete in a rental and I want some advice about what to do while here! I found this link:

I know this site is geared towards tourists, and I am an expat living in Greece so I am not quite a tourist. But, I am a writer and plan to finish something on Crete before I move on.

From that list, is there anything here that you think I absolutely won't want to miss? For me, the time tends to fly and even if I am in a place for a few months, I get swept up in the daily life and don't seem to do as much as I originally planned. I need a plan!

Fun Things to Do in Crete that Involve the Outdoors?

I already decided to visit the Samaria Gorge. I won't do the whole hike, but rather hike into the gorge from the village.

Now, I am looking for some other experiences to do that involve the outdoors? I know that Crete is so pretty, and I want to spend some time in nature while on the island.

Does it make sense to go from Athens to Crete?

I plan to spend time in Athens this summer, maybe two weeks, and then that will give me maybe two weeks left in Greece. I didn't want to go nuts traveling all over the place and I have two choices. 1. I could actually stay in Athens the whole time and 2. I could do 2 weeks in Athens and 2 weeks in Crete. However, does this make sense? I usually take the ferry around Greece when I can, but the ferry ride to Crete is very long - I believe it's overnight. I don't know if it is worth it. I don't have people to visit in Crete, this would be a "because I feel like it" trip to Crete.

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Pinterest YouTube