1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png

Reactions: Hash

k_tsoukalas

The windmills have so much history and character, too. I try to include them in photos whenever I am I the island. They're so cool!

Visit Mirambello Bay on your next trip to Crete

Mirambello Bay is rarely talked about and I have no idea why! This spot is absolutely perfect for swimming and lounging. It is actually one of the the biggest bays in all of Europe, and has very calm and clear water. There is an excellent tourist town nearby that is called Agios Nikolaos with many restaurants and shops that have an excellent view of the bay. Check it out next time you visit Crete!

Where can I eat Cretan food outside of Crete?

Cretan cuisine is some of the best that I’ve ever tried. I don’t visit the island too often, but I do visit mainland Greece. I have two young kids, and the trip to Athens is already enough for them. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Cretan cuisine in Athens or Attiki specifically, but anywhere else on the mainland would do (Corinth for example). I would love to try out some spots. 😊

Crete is the best place to get an Airbnb!

I have been browsing Airbnb's all over the island of Crete and the value is astounding! The prices are some of the best that I've seen all over Greece and they are all brand new, clean, and very modern which is not the case for other areas of Greece. It seems that many people on the island are investing in new developments which is great for tourism. I recommend you check out Airbnb's when you are visiting!

Check out this amazing Cretan tune

Cretan music is truly one of the best! These songs are some of the most popular Cretan songs throughout time and are preformed here as covers by Konstantinos and Ilias Drougas. As you can see in the video, the group is dancing along using Cretan dances, which are pretty popular throughout Greece since the culture is so renowned. Let me know if you like it! I will be going to a wedding in Crete this summer and I am prepping :)

The beautiful traditional costumes of Crete

Crete has some of the most beautiful culture and costumes! This video outlines all of the pieces of the traditional costumes and what each part is used for. As you can see, many parts of Cretan culture are based in military lifestyle. Cretans are known as warriors and played a major role in defending Greece from both the Ottoman Empire as well as Nazi regime.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter