1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

What's better than a Greek Christmas market in Thessaloniki offering the best of the best from all around the city??! Christmas markets are a great place to walk around and enjoy the festivities and lights, and get some last-minute local gifts. I stumbled upon this link while researching some activities to do in the city for a friend of mine who has never been to Greece. If anyone else has some recommendations for Christmas time activities in Thessaloniki I would really appreciate it.

ladytina

What's better than a Greek Christmas market in Thessaloniki offering the best of the best from all around the city??! Christmas markets are a great place to walk around and enjoy the festivities and lights, and get some last-minute local gifts. I stumbled upon this link while researching some activities to do in the city for a friend of mine who has never been to Greece. If anyone else has some recommendations for Christmas time activities in Thessaloniki I would really appreciate it.

I didn't know that Greece had Christmas markets! This looks amazing. I can't go to Greece this year for Christmas, but when I do get there (hopefully next year) I will put visiting the markets on my list.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

I didn't know that Greece had Christmas markets! This looks amazing. I can't go to Greece this year for Christmas, but when I do get there (hopefully next year) I will put visiting the markets on my list.
Yes!! They have many during this time of year because vendors want to get their products out for those looking to buy gifts!

What does everyone like about Thessaloniki?

Thessaloniki is one of the most unique places in Greece! Its way better than Athens in my opinion, it has everything that a big city has to offer but it also has a small town and waterfront vibe. Do you agree with what was said in the video? Or do you have your own perceptions about what is good and bad about the city? Let me know!

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

What do people like about Thessaloniki?

I love these videos so much because I get great insight into what locals actually like about different cities. In my opinion, there's so much to like about Thessaloniki. I really love how the city has so much culture, and you can see how the influence of different empires has impacted the cities architecture. Would you agree with some of what I said in the video? Or do you have a different perspective? Let me know!

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter