1 - 6 of 6 Posts

cubrinj

I have been researching places on mainland Greece to visit from Athens and I definitely want to make sure I see Delphi. This site has always fascinated me. Do you guys have any advice? I am not opposed to staying in Delphi for a night or two if it helps me better experience the place. I don't have to necessarily stay in Athens the whole time, that is just where my trip will be starting. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Luana

My advice? Go! No matter what. I went in winter, a bit cool but not crowded and the most beautiful ethereal place on earth. For me it was like an experience in another world. It was well over 30 years ago when I went, and it still stirs up same emotions in me.

Arachova is a nearby town you might want to consider an overnight visit.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas

Xpisto

I have been researching places on mainland Greece to visit from Athens and I definitely want to make sure I see Delphi. This site has always fascinated me. Do you guys have any advice? I am not opposed to staying in Delphi for a night or two if it helps me better experience the place. I don't have to necessarily stay in Athens the whole time, that is just where my trip will be starting. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!
Plan to stay an overnight. It's about a 3 hr drive from Athens so a one-day trip is out of the question. There is a very nice hotel, NIDIMOS in Delphi just at the bottom of the hill on the right in Delphi, when coming from Arachova. There is a really nice restaurant "Patriko" across the street from the hotel. When we were there about 5 years ago the rate was 35E per night. Had a nice breakfast also.

Jerry s

Delphi is about 2.5 hours drive from the centre of Athens. If I was you I would drive to Itea (20 minutes drive) have lunch on the waterfront and stay the night in Itea. There are several hotels there, I have stayed in Nafsika palace but there are others there.
Depending where you want to go next you can drive to Antirio the across to Rio, you don't have to go back to Athens.

k_tsoukalas

I have never been to Delphi and after reading this, I think I will make it a point to see it! It seems like one of those things I should make it a point to see one of these days.

cubrinj

Thank you everyone for the advice - this is so helpful!

What other places are near Delphi?

It is likely I will be spending time in Delphi this year - I want to see the site of the Oracle. Athens is my starting point and I was thinking, what else is there in the Delphi area, or within driving distance? I have seen very little of mainland Greece. Also on that trip I want to visit Marathon and Olympia - does it make sense? Delphi is a must-see for this time, but I could let the other two places go if I need to.

Is this a weird itinerary?

I am going to be in Greece about a month this summer and I keep changing my mind about what I will be doing while in the country. This is my itinerary and I am trying to figure out if I can pull it off without things being stressful. Every single thing on the list exists because I have people to visit. Santorini is on the list because of a wedding... I want to try to do all of it but I am not sure about the Santorini piece of it... but since it is a wedding I think I should just make it work.

Anyway, the destinations are: Athens (I have A LOT of people to visit, I will need like two total weeks here), Corinth (one person to visit), Kythira (no one to visit, I just want to go), Santorini (the wedding).

Is this too disjointed? Appreciate your thoughts.

Tripadvisor: Greek Destinations Among ‘Best of the Best’ Places to Travel in 2023

So there we have it! Greek Destinations amongst the best places travel!....Well for a start they always have been for the last 50 years plus!😂😂....and the funny thing is when they decide Rome has the best culinary experiences!....I nearly fell off my hammock laughing reading this!😂😂...I will never know how they quantify, great PR for us all the same!👍👍.....No Mykonos oh my god what are we going to do?.😂.. Actually Andros, Syros, Milos and Folegandros are the places to visit!

Help Navigating Trip to Mykonos

I can't shake that I want to go to Mykonos soon, but I am nervous because I've heard mixed things about the island. What attracts me to the island is the party scene - but a lot of what goes with the party scene turns me off. I don't know if any of you have advice on how to navigate it. I want to enjoy the parties, but I want to also be able to avoid them here and there to sightsee, relax, etc. So I want a balance. If this isn't the place for that kind of balance, I am open to suggestions.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube