1 - 3 of 3 Posts

francescool

These are going to be super helpful when you're going to the beach in Greece!

• Swimsuit – το μαγιό – to mayio
  • Red (black, blue, etc) Swimsuit – το κόκκινο (μαύρο, μπλε, etc) μαγιό – to kokkino (mavro, ble, etc) mayio
  • Beach – η παραλία – I paralia
  • Ocean – ο ωκεανός – o okeanos
  • Mediterranean Sea – Η Μεσόγειος – I mesoyeeos
  • Sun – Ο ήλιος – o ilios
  • Sunglasses – τα γυαλιά Ηλιού – ta gyaliá Ilioú
  • Swimming – κολύμπι – kolimbi
  • Towel – πετσέτα – peseta
  • Seashell – το κοχύλι – to kohili
  • Suntan – το μαύρισμα – to mavrisma
  • Palm Tree – το φοίνικα – to finika
  • Life Guard – ο ναυαγοσώστης – o navagosóstis
  • Sunscreen – το αντηλιακό – to aftiliako
  • Bikini – το μπικίνι – to bikini

Reactions: Jawge

ellinasgolfer0320

I'm surprised θάλασσα isn't on the list, because there aren't any oceans around Greece, and to say "let's go to the beach" in Greek you generally say, "Ας πάμε στη θάλασσα" which means "let's go to the sea".

Reactions: mastichas09

mastichas09

I'm surprised θάλασσα isn't on the list, because there aren't any oceans around Greece, and to say "let's go to the beach" in Greek you generally say, "Ας πάμε στη θάλασσα" which means "let's go to the sea".
Good point, thanks for sharing

Oxi day is coming up soon! How are you all celebrating?

This is one of the most historical Greek holidays that I admire so much! How is everyone celebrating? :) Happy almost Oxi day

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Check out Pentozali, the traditional dance of Crete

Pentozali is such a unique and beautiful dance. It is very traditional, and requires a decent amount of skill (especially if you want to do the tricks that you see in the video)

Is it customary for people to convert to Orthodoxy when marrying someone Greek?

When I married my husband, I didn't convert and we had a non religious wedding, but I am sort of considering converting now. There are a lot of aspects about Orthodoxy that appeal to me now that we've been together for many years and Ive learned more about the religion. Plus, our kids are Greek Orthodox so I think it would be nice if we were all the same religion officially. I was raised loosely Catholic, so I haven't practiced in years. I'm wondering what other couples have done and if anyone has experience marrying someone of another religion.

This is what Oxi Day is all about

Love learning about holidays like this, cheers!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter