1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

I am getting a big kick studying stories from Greek Mythology. The Lost Kingdom of Atlantis has always fascinated me, mainly because some speculate that it was a real place that no longer exists. Some speculate that the portion of Santorini that collapsed into the sea after the volcano erupted thousands of years ago was actually Atlantis. It's one of the theories, anyway. I heard there's even a museum to visit on Santorini about it!

Does anyone here know about this theory and the museum? I would love to hear your input. Are there any other places in Greece that might be Atlantis?

k_tsoukalas

Yes, there are several theories about Atlantis and this is my absolute favorite. It also makes the most sense to me because Homer, a Greek, is the one who wrote about Atlantis. Yes, there is a museum about it on Santorini somewhere but I don't know the details.

How old was Icarus when he died?

Hi everyone! I'm new here :). I'm trying to write a story about Daedalus and Icarus, but consulting several sources, I figured out none of them mentioned Icarus' age. In latin he is referred as "puer", which means a boy between 7-17 years old, so he surely is on the young side. I was just wondering if he was a pre-adolescent (12,13) or a bit older such as 15 or 16. It's a little difference, but it really influences the maturity of the kid. If anybody knows, any help would be very appreciated :))
ps: sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm actually italian lol

Mythological Places in Greece to Visit?

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the travel forum but I am curious... where should I visit in Greece if I want to be in touch with Greek Mythology? I understand that there are some notable places. Here is a list of what I have come up with. Can you think of anything to add?

• Mount Olympus - pretty fun that it is a real place!
  • Cave of Zeus in Crete - where supposedly he was raised
  • Archeron - you can actually visit the river mentioned in the stories, as being a gateway to the underworld?
  • Delphi - where the fabled oracle did her thing!
I can't think of anything else....

Kronos and Zeus had the most ultimate battle

I never even knew that Kronos and Zeus had a battle over the universe until now. Zeus was not always the king of gods....he actually had to beat Kronos in a battle to become the king. Zeus became the king meaning he had power over every single god and he also was able to carry out punishments, which he did using his power over controlling the weather. He is the best Greek god for sure!

Visit the temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion

The temple of Poseidon is one of the mainlands most beautiful ancient Greek structures. The temple was built by the ancient Greeks in honor of the god Poseidon, who is said to be the god of the sea. Near the Temple, there are freestanding statues of young men. The temple was built strategically by the ancient Greeks, at the very tip of the mainland and overlooking the sea. That's why this temple is so beautiful to visit, since you have a great view of the ocean and the horizon.

How accurate is the Thanos movie in comparison to Greek mythology?

Thanos is a popular Greek movie but also an important figure in Greek mythology. Im wondering if any Greek mythology geeks know anything about whether or not there is any historical accuracy in the movies. I'm not sure if these big blockbuster movie companies are actually doing their due diligence to research and do justice to the Ancient Greek Myths.
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube