1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Did you know that some Ancient Greeks wouldn't eat beans because they said they contained the souls of dead people....eeek! Do you know of any other superstitions?

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

I did a google search and it seems that few traditions have remained from the ancient times. I don't know if they were recorded in history

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

Did you know that some Ancient Greeks wouldn't eat beans because they said they contained the souls of dead people....eeek! Do you know of any other superstitions?

This is something I have never heard before, but I find it fascinating! Is this possibly a "Christmas" tradition that began in Ancient Greece?

More than one Minoan Palace on Crete?

I didn't realize that Knossos wasn't the only Minoan Palace on Crete, but from what I understand it might be the largest?

I am planning a trip to Crete soon to see some of the ruins and here is where I plan to visit - did I miss anything?

1. Archaeological Museum of Athens
2. Knossos Palace
3. Malia
4. Phaistos
5. Zakros

Are there any other museums I should visit? I am learning about Minoan culture...

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

Where the name “Greece” comes from

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Remembering Metaxas as Oxi Day Approaches

From what I understand, Metaxas was a somewhat controversial figure in Greece. However, he is the one who stood his ground against the Axis Powers when they wanted Greece to allow occupation during World War II without a fight.

I guess at the time, a representative from Italy gave Metaxas an ultimatum from Mussolini. I heard somewhere that what he really said was: “Alors, c’est la guerre.” Which means, then it is war. The Greek people translated it as "Oxi".

In my mind, this is Philotimo. Standing against Italy and the Axis Powers was the right thing to do.

Does anyone know why Metaxas is generally considered controversial? Does it have to do with Oxi day or something else?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube