1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Honey_bunny

I am super confused between these two as I have read that Antiochus I of Commagene was the one who had built Mount Nemrut(Turkey) but when I read the history and properties of the king who had built the Mount Nemrut, it is more likely "Antiochus I Soter" or his son "Antiochus II Theo" because they both had "God complex" , they were called King of the Universe and Theo(God) respectively.

Moreover, Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter don't seem to be related if I track their family line and they seem to rule slightly different areas but the heritage and family attributes that local Turkish guides provide about the king that is associated with Mount Nemrut is more similar to the Antiochus I Soter or his Son Antiochus II Theo. But is their any chance that Antiochus I of Commagene is related to the aforementioned Kings, like could they be his ancestors or something?

I have found not much information online as the Turkish websites either attribute the king as simply Antiochus I or Antiochus I of Commagene Theo which is absolutely wrong because no King having name Antiochus I had title Theo in the history.

If anyone could provide the clarity with a little background, I would be really grateful.

Did you know that dozens of ancient theaters are still operating in Greece?

Theater was a huge part of the ancient Greek civilization, and it's still important in modern Greece today. Greeks loves theater, and you were always see flyers for different shows going on. Many of these are presented in ancient amphitheatres that were built thousands of years ago. If you're in Greece, I really recommend that you check one out. There are even plays for young children.

Here is a list of showings around Greece: https://parallaximag.gr/theatro

You can use a google translate browser add on to translate the page.

Trailer for Smyrna, Greek American historical drama

I am so excited to see this movie! It beautifully depicts the crisis of Smyrna, and shows the lives of those that were affected by the genocide. Let me know what you think of this trailer, and if you're thinking to watch it as well. I'm currently trying to find a link for the full movie online, but having some trouble.

Where the name “Greece” comes from

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Life Aboard Onassis' Legendary Yacht 'Christina .

I don't know where it is appropriate to post this....I think it is best here as it is past and little gossipy.....
Be interesting what others think of it .... Christina O was always moored behind our house in Kalafatis beach @Kalo Livadi nearly all summer....on charter and private use.....
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter