1 - 6 of 6 Posts

auroracoor1

I really want to get into cooking some hearty soups for the fall! Any recommendations for traditional Greek soups?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some of the best Greek soups:

- Avgolemono
- Youvarlakia
- Fasolada
- Fakes (lentils)

Here are some good Greek soup recipes to check out:

egg-lemon-soup-768x510.jpeg

ellinasgolfer0320

All of those above are great soups.

Avgolemono is a sauce that goes on your dolmades in Greece, but searching it in English should return results for the soup; however, if you don't find the soup then try kotosoupa avgolemono/kotosoupa which is how it's called in Greek.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Lentil soup with carrots, celery and some vinegar and olive oil on top!!!

SydneyWaters

I really want to get into cooking some hearty soups for the fall! Any recommendations for traditional Greek soups?
Here is a great soup recipe for you. This is very easy to make and tastes awesome. I am into all natural diet and tried several recipes that are enriched with therapeutic herbs and spice. But this one is my favourite. I found this on iahas.com and fall in love witth it. I am sure you will like it.

Comforting Vegetable Soup

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 2 person (400ml)

Ingredients
2 Carrot, thinly sliced2 Spring onion, thinly sliced1/2 stalk of lemongrass½ cup of mix vegetables3 cups Basic Broth1 Small handful dulse (or any other sea vegetable of your choice)1/2 t black pepper powderSalt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)

Method
In a large pot, add carrots, onions, mix vegetables, broth, and dulse and bring it to boil over high flame.Bruise the lemongrass stalk and add it to the boiling pot. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low flame.Add Salt and Black Pepper and mix well.Serve it hot with rice or amaranth

Serving suggestions
When digestion is low or in winters, whisk a spoonful of miso paste in a small bowl of warm broth and add it into the soup after removing it from the stove.

Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

Here is a great soup recipe for you. This is very easy to make and tastes awesome. I am into all natural diet and tried several recipes that are enriched with therapeutic herbs and spice. But this one is my favourite. I found this on iahas.com and fall in love witth it. I am sure you will like it.

Comforting Vegetable Soup

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 2 person (400ml)

Ingredients
2 Carrot, thinly sliced2 Spring onion, thinly sliced1/2 stalk of lemongrass½ cup of mix vegetables3 cups Basic Broth1 Small handful dulse (or any other sea vegetable of your choice)1/2 t black pepper powderSalt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)

Method
In a large pot, add carrots, onions, mix vegetables, broth, and dulse and bring it to boil over high flame.Bruise the lemongrass stalk and add it to the boiling pot. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low flame.Add Salt and Black Pepper and mix well.Serve it hot with rice or amaranth

Serving suggestions
When digestion is low or in winters, whisk a spoonful of miso paste in a small bowl of warm broth and add it into the soup after removing it from the stove.
Sounds really tasty! Thanks for posting!

How to make Greek lentil rice pilaf

Rice pilaf is such a great dish but you don't really see it in many Greek restaurants. Its one of my favorite foods that I ate growing up :) Here is the recipe
  • 2/3 cup dried lentils, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
  • 1/3 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Greek honey
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
  • 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley
Strain the lentils and add them to a medium saucepan. Fill the pan with water so that the lentils are covered and bring to a boil over medium-high heat with the lid on the pan. Turn off the heat and let the lentils stand for about ten minutes. Strain them again and set them aside. Pour the olive oil into a deep skillet. Set the heat to medium and let it warm for about a minute. Add the onions and saute until they just begin to get soft. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and saute for anothr 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the coriander, allspice, cinnamon, and bay leaves. Stir in the rice and lentils. Cook the mixture together for about a minute. Stir in the broth, salt, pepper, honey, vinegar, and oregano. Cover the skillet and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer on low heat and cook until all the water absorbs. Stir in the parsley just before serving.

This is what the pilafi will end up looking like

Pilafi-me-Fakes-720x480.jpg

How to make avgolemono so you can put it on everything

Avgolemono can be put on literally everything!! I like to put it on gemista and dolmadakia :) This is how you make it

Ingredients: 1-2 cups broth or pan juices from the dish for which you are making avgolemono, 2 eggs, Juice of 1-2 lemons

Gradually beat in a spoonful at a time of hot broth until the mixture is very warm. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the hot broth and stir continuously until the sauce thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil because it will cook the eggs and the sauce will separate.

And this is what it looks like
Egg-and-Lemon-Sauce-720x483.jpg

Is it possible to use ground pork or lamb for Greek ground beef recipes?

Im not a huge fan of ground beef sometimes and I like to switch up the types of protein that I use. Has anyone tried making pastitsio or gemista with pork or lamb for example? How was it?

Pictures of the beautiful Mykonos

Mykonos is such a beautiful island, don't take it for granted just because it sometimes gets a bad reputation!! Post your Mykonos pics so we can see the true Mykonos
Mykonos-720x480.jpg

What to add to your melitzanosalata to spice it up

There are many things you can add to your Melitzanosalata to spice things up. Here are a few suggestions: crushed walnuts, roasted red peppers, spicy peppers, pomegranate seeds, tahini, crispy eggplant skin, crispy fried onions, green onions for garnishing. All of these will upgrade a classic dip :)

Melitzanosalata-Eggplant-Salad-Recipe-720x480.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter