1 - 9 of 9 Posts

dubai_suzie

Any recommendations? And do some apps only work in Athens? Ive only ever used uber in Athens but Im wondering if there are other options

ellinasgolfer0320

ride sharing in Greece doesn't work the same as the USA, Canada, or AUS.

That said, taxibeat is probably the best

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

ride sharing in Greece doesn't work the same as the USA, Canada, or AUS.

That said, taxibeat is probably the best
I use taxi beat as well. Uber and Lyft also work in Athens.

nadellii

Alternatively you can find a reputable taxi company and call them over the phone and they will send a cab to wherever you are

ellinasgolfer0320

Alternatively you can find a reputable taxi company and call them over the phone and they will send a cab to wherever you are
This is the thing to do, and thats what taxibeat helps with... most Greeks take taxis, not uber, or lyft.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

I would definitely just stick with taxis in Greece and forget about ride share. It's not really in the Greek Culture to use ride share.

I have never used ride share in Greece, and I am not sure that people really do that. I tend to use taxis, public transport, my legs, or rent a car.

According to this tripadvisor thread, there is an app that Greeks use that can help you secure a taxi called Taxibeat. I have never used it. Has anyone heard of it?

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

I have never used ride share in Greece, and I am not sure that people really do that. I tend to use taxis, public transport, my legs, or rent a car.

According to this tripadvisor thread, there is an app that Greeks use that can help you secure a taxi called Taxibeat. I have never used it. Has anyone heard of it?

Yes, taxi beat is super popular in Greece. Essentially its just like uber but it uses all of the existing taxi drivers in Greece

How to rent motorcycles and atvs in Greece

Of course, the process is going to be different depending on where you are in Greece, but for the most part the rules are the same. You will need an unexpired drivers license to rent an ATV. Some websites will say that you need an international drivers license, but I've never been asked for one. If you want to rent a motorcycle, you will need a motorcycle license. You might be able to get by if you let the people know that your experience, but I highly recommend that you bring yours. It's as simple as that!

Why you should wear sneakers and comfortable shoes in Greece

This applies to all places in Greece, except for the beach! If you're going on day trips, I highly recommend that you wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. Most places in Greece, especially touristy areas and ancient sites have cobblestone paths. Villages tend to be very hilly or have dirt paths. It can be super challenging if you are wearing heels or fancy shoes. I suggest that you keep those for going on short walks to dinner.

Dont worry, you can always have breakfast on the ferry

I’ve taken countless ferries across the Greek islands, and I always seem to be rushing to get on the boat in time. One thing that I love about Greek ferries, is that there’s always a café on board where you can buy snacks, pastries, and coffee. It’s a little bit pricey, so keep that in mind. You can also get coffee from the ferry port! Safe travels 😊

How much money do you think Greece made from tourism last year?

If you guessed 27 billion euros you would be right! This is a huge increase from 2020, where Greece only made 15.5 billion euros, which dropped because of covid. in 2019, this number was even greater at 38.2 billion. Tourism is a huge portion of the country GDP and contributes to building the economy greatly. Bravo to the people of Greece!

Greek travel tips for the summer!

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the news lately, but airports are super busy and understaffed. Especially in Canada. When you're travelling to Greece this summer I highly recommend that you bring a carry-on and don't check any luggage. This will make the process so much easier. I also recommend that you check in online, and if you have TSA pre-check or nexus, use that for sure. Greece just changed the rules this year and you don't need to fill out a plf form, so you're all set on that end.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter