1 - 6 of 6 Posts

tomipark

Please let me know!!! Feel free to debate in the comments I know there are a lot of
possibilities.

Reactions: Hash

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some of my favorite Greek mezze (appetizers):

- Saganaki
- Dolmades
- Tiropita

Here are some other Greek mezze recipes to consider trying:

Hash

Please let me know!!! Feel free to debate in the comments I know there are a lot of
possibilities.
Gigatez,Fava,fasolia,Bamiesz,
Melitzanosalada,Taramosalata,...More later!👌

Stathi

possibilities.
Oh my God, there is such a huge variety of delicious & irrisitable mezedes , both panhellenic and regional. For example, in Rhodes they make "pitaroudia." They are like little, irregular circles of very coarsely ground, whole, cooked chick peas with flour, spices & local herbs, gently & quikly fried in shallow olive oil at a medium temp. They require some know how skill to make. I never attempted because I could eat them inexpensively at the various tavernas and resturants throughout the island. They would vary slightly from place to place but they were always so delicious & delectable & great with tzadzitki. The first time I eat them was at the Panorama Taverna on the highway close to the Tzambika Monestary, Archangelou. In retrospect I think those were my favorites so far, There are no eggs in pitaroudia and can be considered vegetarian. If one could back they they could also be eaten during strict lent, which very few ever practice any more

greggd12

Oh my God, there is such a huge variety of delicious & irrisitable mezedes , both panhellenic and regional. For example, in Rhodes they make "pitaroudia." They are like little, irregular circles of very coarsely ground, whole, cooked chick peas with flour, spices & local herbs, gently & quikly fried in shallow olive oil at a medium temp. They require some know how skill to make. I never attempted because I could eat them inexpensively at the various tavernas and resturants throughout the island. They would vary slightly from place to place but they were always so delicious & delectable & great with tzadzitki. The first time I eat them was at the Panorama Taverna on the highway close to the Tzambika Monestary, Archangelou. In retrospect I think those were my favorites so far, There are no eggs in pitaroudia and can be considered vegetarian. If one could back they they could also be eaten during strict lent, which very few ever practice any more
I found this recipe online and they look amazing! I've never heard of this dish and I'm so excited to try it. I'm a really big fan of regional dishes that usually get lost in the popular Greek food that we eat in the states. https://www.dianekochilas.com/pitaroudia-chickpea-fritters-with-tahini-sauce/

k_tsoukalas

Fries made in olive oil, fava dip (puree of fava beans with herbs, garlic, etc), Skordalia dip, dolmades, tiropita, taramasalata ... I could go on and on but these are some of my favorites.

Where to get the best gyros in Athens

Athens has some of the best street food in Greece! You can pretty much get great street food anywhere in Greece, but these are some of my best suggestions for the next time that you're in Athens. I recommend ordering a gyro pita with tzatziki, french fries, tomatoes, and onions! It's the classic gyro and you won't be disappointed.

- o Gyros Pou Gyrevis
- Tylixto Greek Wrap
- Just Pita

How to make a refreshing watermelon drink for the summer!

Now that it's heating up, I thought it would be very helpful for everyone in the World Wide Greeks community to make a watermelon drink for the summer! Whether you are going to be in Greece or in your home country, you can still make this drink. I must say though, that the water melons in Greece can't be beat! The recipe is very simple, and doesn't require much preparation. Here it is...

-Cut up 1 whole watermelon and blend in a blender in batches
-If the mixture is very thick, you can add water to your liking so that it is more like a juice rather than a smoothie
-if you like, you can add many different flavour variations like mint, orange juice, or lemon. I prefer mint :)
-Strain to remove seeds
-Add ice and serve!

How to make a gyro completely from scratch

Making gyros can be pretty simple… but also pretty complicated. If you're in the mood for a challenge, I recommend that you check out this video and try making all of the different parts of a gyro from scratch. This is what I like to do if I have a little extra time on my hands, and want to impress my family lol. Of course, ordering takeout is always a great option, especially if you're supporting a local Greek business.

Mastic ice cream is the best dessert for summer

Greek mastic ice cream is one of the best summer desserts. It has such a unique flavor, and is made from traditional Greek ingredients. You can usually find this ice cream packaged in a grocery store, from a Greek pastry store, and some people even make it at home. If you would like to try to, here are some recipes that you can use.

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter