1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

What are your top pics from the island? I'd love to try more local wines when I visit Rhodes

grapes.jpg

I would say that Muscat White is one of the best wines that I've had and its from Rhodes! I would recommend that you go to a winery and try a few out. Pick your favorite and drink it for dinner that night

The climate on this island is great for growing certain grapes, so there are a handful of wineries to chose from. Here's an article with a bit of information about the grapes and it also mentions a few wineries to visit:

Valley of Butterflies in Rhodes?

I learned about this cool place on Rhdoes I want to see.

Valley of Butterflies is a sanctuary on Rhodes for severe; species of butterflies and is worth a visit. This natural haven is nestled in the middle of a winding stream and surrounded by rocky hills, flowers, and trees. The valley is home to abundant flora and fauna, including 150 different types of butterflies and moths such as the Jersey Tiger Moth, the Spotted Fritillary Butterfly, and the Painted Lady Butterfly.

The best time to visit this natural paradise is from late June to early September. During this period, the butterflies start their 5-day mating cycle, creating beautiful yellow-colored walls along the Rhodos stream. Visiting this place during this period gives you the chance to revel in the delightful colors and aroma of butterflies fluttering around your head.

I found this great video about it:

I don't know I fi will have a chance to go next year, but it really does look neat!

Visiting Ancient Ramiro's on Rhodes

I realized I have never seen this site and I am traveling with history buffs. I thought I'd ask you all for some advice:

1. Best Time to Visit: What’s the best time of year to explore Ancient Kamiros to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  2. Getting There: Are there public transportation options available, or would renting a vehicle be advisable? Any tips on parking or the best times to arrive?
  3. Must-Sees: Within the site, are there any particular spots or artifacts that are a must-see? I'm interested in capturing some great photos and soaking in the history.
  4. Tour. Should I take a tour? Anything to recommend?

Traveling with a history buff to Rhodes

I am traveling with someone who lives history to Rhodes. Specifically, Medieval history (to the crusades).

I understand that Rhodes was a main player in this time period? Here are a few things on my list to visit. Did I miss anything?
  1. The Palace of the Grand Master: Standing majestically in the heart of Rhodes Old Town, this palace is one of the most striking reminders of the Knights' presence. It's said to be restored in the 20th century. I'm particularly interested in its history and the exhibitions hosted inside.
  2. Street of the Knights (Ippoton Street): Possibly one of the best-preserved medieval streets in the world. Walking down this street, lined with the inns once used by knights of different languages and origins, seems like a walk back in time. Any specific inns or details I should look out for?
  3. The Hospital of the Knights: Now housing the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes, it seems like a place rich in history. I'm curious about the exhibitions there and any pieces that are a must-see.
  4. The Fortifications: The walls and gates around Rhodes Old Town are a testament to the knights' engineering prowess. Is there a particular section or gate that offers a unique perspective or history?
  5. Rodini Park: A bit off the beaten path in terms of knightly history, but I've read that it's one of the world's oldest parks and was appreciated even during the era of the knights. Any historical remnants here connected to the knights?

Religious sites to visit on Rhodes

Today, I’m excited to share four religious sites that you might want to visit as you journey along a certain road. Each of these destinations offers a unique insight into the spiritual legacy and historical context of the regions you'll find yourself immersed in. However, remember I haven't visited this myself. I am thinking of visiting them. So I will make updates as I find more information. For example, I just added more information about the names of the places so they're easier to find.

1. The Temple at the Crossroads

This serene temple, ancient as the surrounding groves, is named for the cross-section of paths where legend says the gods intersect. The atmosphere is calm, and it's said that prayers offered here meet deities from all four cardinal directions. Locals believe that if you meditate within the temple's main hall, you can sense the divine converging around you.

I think this place is also called Temple of Apollo Pythias but I could be wrong.

2. The Monastery Through the Mist

Nestled high in the mountains, this monastery is famous for the shroud of mist that enwraps it, making it feel like an ethereal resting place. History marks it as the site where the first saint of the region achieved enlightenment. Pilgrims hike hours up treacherous paths to be blessed where the clouds meet the heavens.

I think this place is also called Filerimos Monastery - should be easier to find under this name.

3. The Shrine within a Cave

A cave lodges in a cliffside on the third leg of our journey, housing a shrine illuminated only by the gentle glow of candles. An annual festival invites thousands, as they carry torches along narrow ledges to pay homage to the hermit who first discovered this sanctuary. The echo of religious chants is said to make the rocks themselves vibrate.

I think this is also called Cave of Archangel Michael.

4. The Ancient Blessing Well

A clearing in the dense woods reveals a well, adorned with flowers, that many claim has healing properties. Here, people of all faiths come to draw water and leave tokens of gratitude for the water spirit. This practice was believed to have been started by a traveling monk hundreds of years ago, imparting legends of miraculous recoveries to those who drank from it.

Is this place in the Fortification of Rhodes?

Note: I edited this to fix the error about the amount. I had 5 but decided I didn't want to talk about the fifth. I also put some more information about locations.

Holiday season coming to a close in Greece & the islands

Soon tavernas/bars & shops will be closing until 2024.By mid november it will be very quiet.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back