1 - 10 of 10 Posts

blopez34

What can I do at the cyclopean walls site? Does anyone know if there are tour guides? I would love to learn more about the walls from an expert

Reactions: dimi_pat
The most famous examples of Cyclopean masonry are found in the walls of Mycenae and Tiryns! You should definitely visit

Reactions: amygdalE
Fun fact - these walls got their name in Ancient Greeks because some believed that the "Cyclops" (the one-eyed giants from Greek mythology) built them. Regardless of who you believe built them, they really are interesting to visit.

The most famous examples of Cyclopean masonry are found in the walls of Mycenae and Tiryns! You should definitely visit
I agree. However, I think that this type of masonry (now also called Megalithic) was misnamed, because the wall that a cyclope, Polyphemus (in the Odyssey) built consisted of accumulated stones between trees. (This is intercalary m., which we evince as the walls between some columns of temples, while other columns are "free-standing". // Megalithic masonry is found also and in Italy and on the American continent (Peru`, etc.) Examples in southern Italy: Alatri, where some stones have carved words that use classical Greek and Etruscan alphabetical letters; Campana (in Calabria, near my native town), which contains the megalithic statue of an elephant. // I think megalithic constructions are prehistoric, from an era before our B.C. era. {We need a new "androgony".}

I agree. However, I think that this type of masonry (now also called Megalithic) was misnamed, because the wall that a cyclope, Polyphemus (in the Odyssey) built consisted of accumulated stones between trees. (This is intercalary m., which we evince as the walls between some columns of temples, while other columns are "free-standing". // Megalithic masonry is found also and in Italy and on the American continent (Peru`, etc.) Examples in southern Italy: Alatri, where some stones have carved words that use classical Greek and Etruscan alphabetical letters; Campana (in Calabria, near my native town), which contains the megalithic statue of an elephant. // I think megalithic constructions are prehistoric, from an era before our B.C. era. {We need a new "androgony".}
Wow so interesting! How do you know all of this?

Wow so interesting! How do you know all of this?
Long ago, while still in high school, I read and analyzed the Odyssey in translation. After reading a book about Odysseus' homecoming journey, I prepared an article, which I still have, on the same subject but, as I think, with a more accurate geography, and I identified Cephallonia/Kephalonia as his homeland -- which I mentioned to a Greek colleague of mine in a Staten Island, NY, college. // One among my many private studies has been anthropology, especially cultural, and now I have come to the point where I see the need of a new/adequate Androgony or Anthropogony -- words I coin after Hesiod's Theogony [Theogoneia], wherefore they mean "the generation or genealogy of men" . It has to include the Age of megaliths, which exist in Greece, Italy, Peru`, Japan, etc.
Cheers. // I see a thread about Mount Ainos in Kefalonia... Is the mount frightening?? [I'll look for pictures] Do you have any idea as to when it was named thus? What does it mean to the Kefalonians?

=Wow so interesting! How do you know all of this?

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii
Long ago, while still in high school, I read and analyzed the Odyssey in translation. After reading a book about Odysseus' homecoming journey, I prepared an article, which I still have, on the same subject but, as I think, with a more accurate geography, and I identified Cephallonia/Kephalonia as his homeland -- which I mentioned to a Greek colleague of mine in a Staten Island, NY, college. // One among my many private studies has been anthropology, especially cultural, and now I have come to the point where I see the need of a new/adequate Androgony or Anthropogony -- words I coin after Hesiod's Theogony [Theogoneia], wherefore they mean "the generation or genealogy of men" . It has to include the Age of megaliths, which exist in Greece, Italy, Peru`, Japan, etc.
Cheers.
That’s amazing, do you feel like cultural anthropology does an accurate representation of other cultures? I’ve heard a lot of debate

That’s amazing, do you feel like cultural anthropology does an accurate representation of other cultures? I’ve heard a lot of debate
As you know, what we call "anthropology" (rather than Philosophy of man) was originally concerned with primitive cultures. Unfortunately, I have not checked lately whether an anthropology book or encyclopaedia deals with all world cultures, or, to be sure, whether it contains a a satisfactory anthropogony; I have been busy doing etymologies of indo-european and some other languages. My yesterday finding: "Ainu", the name of one aboriginal Japanese people (before hybridations with the Chinese), is likely based on the classical Greek word "Ainos", which means "terrible, frightening" according to the Bailly grec-francais dictionnaire. (A lady has written an article with correspondances between Jap. and Greek words.) These are new works in cultural anthropology. //Interested?Search, as the URL does not work:
Japanese Concordances with Indo-European (IE) Languages-Knosos

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii
As you know, what we call "anthropology" (rather than Philosophy of man) was originally concerned with primitive cultures. Unfortunately, I have not checked lately whether an anthropology book or encyclopaedia deals with all world cultures, or, to be sure, whether it contains a a satisfactory anthropogony; I have been busy doing etymologies of indo-european and some other languages. My yesterday finding: "Ainu", the name of one aboriginal Japanese people (before hybridations with the Chinese), is likely based on the classical Greek word "Ainos", which means "terrible, frightening" according to the Bailly grec-francais dictionnaire. (A lady has written an article with correspondances between Jap. and Greek words.) These are new works in cultural anthropology. //Interested?Search, as the URL does not work:
Japanese Concordances with Indo-European (IE) Languages-Knosos
Hmmm...that was the debate I've come across, about anthropology focusing on "primitive cultures" and how its a negative perspective. I never expected that a Japanese word could have Greek origins, I am shocked. Thanks

Turtles question about Kefalonia

I'm planning an upcoming trip to the beautiful island of Kefalonia and I've heard quite a bit about the turtles that can be seen around the island. 🐢💦

Being a wildlife lover, I'd be thrilled to catch a glimpse of these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat! I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate insights from those who have visited or are knowledgeable about the local wildlife:
  1. What is the best time of year to observe turtles in Kefalonia?
  2. Are there specific locations where sightings are more common?
  3. Do local conservation efforts support safe viewing that won't disrupt the turtles' natural behavior?
Anything you have to share will be helpful!

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?

Best beaches in Kefalonia for families?

I'm in the process of planning what I hope to be an unforgettable family vacation to the beautiful island of Kefalonia. With its stunning landscapes and inviting sea, I can't think of a better place to spend quality time with the family.

However, as we all know, not all beaches are created equal, especially when it comes to finding spots that are both beautiful and suitable for families. Factors like gentle waves, shallow waters, accessibility, and nearby facilities (such as restrooms and places to eat) can make all the difference in ensuring a stress-free and enjoyable day at the beach for both parents and kids.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have for beaches that fit this bill. Our family loves a mix of adventures and relaxation, so suggestions for beaches with a bit of both would be fantastic. Are there any particular spots that have captured your heart due to their beauty, safety, and family-friendly amenities?

Visiting Lixouri in Kefalonia?

I am planing to go to Kefalonia and want to stay in a town that has a lot going on but maybe isn't so big and overwhelming. I researched and thought maybe Lixouri was a candidate?

This will be my first time on Kefalonia and I am interested in any tips you can give, such as:
  • What are the must-see attractions in and around Lixouri?
  • Can you suggest any hidden gems that a tourist might typically overlook?
  • What's the best way to get around the town and to nearby sites?
  • Any advice on local dining spots or unforgettable culinary experiences?
  • I'm also interested in outdoor activities — are there any particular hikes or natural wonders not to be missed?
  • Lastly, if you have any tips on cultural etiquette or local customs, I’d love to hear about them!
Thank you!

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back